• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

making an android laptop conversion?

chismay

Android Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2011
LONDON
www.londonleos.uuuq.com
alright guys, member AKTIFIT commented about loading linux on one of me lappys, got me thinking.

do you think its possible to create a full laptop conversion to android?

im aware that it would be a vast amount of work to re-do all the drivers and such, im not talking a public system that would need hundreds of different driver for different products i mean as such a stand alone single unit project .

im ok for idea's problem solving, and can learn at a faster rate blah blah , im not a geek but i am fully computer literate, however i dont know about programing, creating drivers and such,

image graphics and GUI design yeah maybe

if this is a possibly to come into fruition i would probably create a basic website to track/blog to project.

so.... does anyone here have any experience in this?
does anyone here have experience and knowledge of driver creation?

is this a reality or a pipe dream? (or joint dream i dunno);)

i'm guessing that the more people get in on the project the faster it would run :cool:

also i have a brother in law who builds his own basic circuit boards with multi-sensors and creates new toys for his kids, might help with any physical hardware modification needed. like a cpu change, adding camera,usb's, hdmi ports...you never know eh?

Ive stripped a few laptops before but like i say im more software-based problem solving.

Upvote 0
i don't know if i understand what you're trying to say, but i'm guessing you want to have an androidlike os on your laptop?

if so it'd be probably easier to look at it from the other side: linux drivers are all available, it is highly customisable and it's optimised for keyboard/trackpad input. but then again i don't think i really see the point in the whole thing :p

or perhaps you were thinking more of sth like the new asus transformer thingie which i think runs android aswell

Upvote 0
i don't know if i understand what you're trying to say, but i'm guessing you want to have an androidlike os on your laptop?

if so it'd be probably easier to look at it from the other side: linux drivers are all available, it is highly customisable and it's optimised for keyboard/trackpad input. but then again i don't think i really see the point in the whole thing :p

or perhaps you were thinking more of sth like the new asus transformer thingie which i think runs android aswell

Edit(if you already know alot about linux just skip this): i don't know how much you know about linux, but in the past few years it really came to a point where i have to say it's more user friendly than windows 7, it's very easy on old hardware and there's also quite a bit of bling bling stuff if you're into that
three examples here:
Ubuntu Unity: YouTube - ‪Ubuntu - Unity & Natty‬‏
Gnome 3: YouTube - ‪GNOME 3 Features (With GNOME Shell)‬‏
Elementary OS(this is just a preview though): YouTube - ‪The not-so-distant future of Elementary OS‬‏

Upvote 0
well basically like i have an android tablet,,, works just like a android phone but bigger screen and no cell services.

now could i have a laptop that say runs android 2.3 gingerbread,.? so it would look like this when i turn it on,.., i mean it should run..amazingly fast with say 4gb of ram? and imagine having android 2.3 with 300gb of HD + 256mb g-card

conecptalappy.gif

Upvote 0
cheers, i tried it out but i must have a in compatible processor because i only got as far as the loading screen just before "ANDROID" is supposed to come up, but then it just freezes., oh well, and it doesnt work on the atom? mmmm so thats 2 out of my 3 accessible pc's marked out.

its because me mate just got one of the acer iconia tablet/laptops wanted to retaliate with a full netbook android hehehe
but the sdk emulator is so god damn slow its unbelievable that its official.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones