• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Making sure of getting a "new" phone

RodBsr

Jan 5, 2013
I've read about people buying a "new" phone only to find out in some way that the phone was actually a refurbished phone or one that had been bought new but returned for some reason. My question is, is this something that happens often or is it rare and if I happen to get a phone that turns out to be refurbished or one that had been bought new but returned and resold to me and it had problems would I have a hard time getting them to replace it and would I still chance getting another refurbished or returned phone? Even if I request to make sure it's a new phone what guarantee would I have of it actually being a new never opened phone? If I'm going to spend good money then I want what I want and I want to make sure I get a brand new phone that has never been opened or used. If it has a problem at least I know it won't be from prior use. Thanks! P.S. Looking at the LG Motion as my preferred choice

What your talkin about only happens @shady authorized dealers. So buy from online, a corporate store or a local authorized dealer with a good rep.

Best bet is online or a corporate store

The only time you get a refurbished phone is through an insurance claim or if you bring in your phone with a software problem within the 1st 30 days I believe or even after if they see fit.

Upvote 0
buy online directly from MetroPCS. that is how you can be absolutely certain you phone is new.

and you wont have to pay $15 to some shady store salesman to activate and mess around your new phone before you even get a chance to touch the new toy you pay for.

When you buy online, you will get to open the new sealed box and touch you new toy before anyone else (i.e., store person) gets to do so. You want to be first person to unbox and touch your new purchase, don't you?

Upvote 0
buy online directly from MetroPCS. that is how you can be absolutely certain you phone is new.

and you wont have to pay $15 to some shady store salesman to activate and mess around your new phone before you even get a chance to touch the new toy you pay for.

When you buy online, you will get to open the new sealed box and touch you new toy before anyone else (i.e., store person) gets to do so. You want to be first person to unbox and touch your new purchase, don't you?

Where do you think the $15 goes ? That shady reps pockets? Are you that jaded towards the brick & mortar stores that you fail to see that the $15 goes towards the stores bottom line. Keep in mind that the margins on prepaid phone sales are very little. the amount compensated for customer retention is even lower. If you need to place blame on anyone, place blame on the company itself for having such a flawed compensation structure.

Banks assign fees for everything now. Are they shady for such practices? No. Greedy yes. Shady no.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones