• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Making the Jump from a Touch HD/WinMo & other questions.

Global_S

Mar 30, 2010
UK
Hello All

I'm currently a Touch HD owner, but my contract is coming up for renewal. I've been interested in Android for a while, but been stopped by the fact I can't get Memory Map (a gps program that show UK Ordance Survey maps). I know there are other apps out there, but I already own many hundreds of pounds worth of maps. I've just found out it will be coming to Android soon. :)

I always like new toys, but want to make sure I've got everything sorted before I jump.

First question is which phone. One that caught my eye on the Evo/Supersonic as love the idea of a bigger screen, but it doesn't look like its coming to the UK as it's a 4g device....does anyone know if we're due and equivalent phone?

Even better does anyone know of any large screen, fast devices on the way which will have a proper keyboard? Just after I got my Touch HD, they brought out the Touch Pro 2, which seemed better suited to my needs.

Can you still use outlook calendar and address book with Android or do you have to use the gmail options. I do quite having things stored locally on my PC as my net connection can be very unreliable.

Finally has anyone got any experience using phones with a capacitive touch screen in any kind of waterproof case. As I work outside a lot in the Yorkshire Dales, unless I can waterproof the phone, it won't last very long.

Thanks for your help!

Hello All

I'm currently a Touch HD owner, but my contract is coming up for renewal. I've been interested in Android for a while, but been stopped by the fact I can't get Memory Map (a gps program that show UK Ordance Survey maps). I know there are other apps out there, but I already own many hundreds of pounds worth of maps. I've just found out it will be coming to Android soon. :)

I always like new toys, but want to make sure I've got everything sorted before I jump.

First question is which phone. One that caught my eye on the Evo/Supersonic as love the idea of a bigger screen, but it doesn't look like its coming to the UK as it's a 4g device....does anyone know if we're due and equivalent phone?

Even better does anyone know of any large screen, fast devices on the way which will have a proper keyboard? Just after I got my Touch HD, they brought out the Touch Pro 2, which seemed better suited to my needs.

Can you still use outlook calendar and address book with Android or do you have to use the gmail options. I do quite having things stored locally on my PC as my net connection can be very unreliable.

Finally has anyone got any experience using phones with a capacitive touch screen in any kind of waterproof case. As I work outside a lot in the Yorkshire Dales, unless I can waterproof the phone, it won't last very long.

Thanks for your help!
Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0
The Evo won't come to Britain for a while, if ever. Even if it does, there's almost no 4g coverage, which is one of the main features.

The Motorola Droid has a physical keyboard, it's apparently very good. As for weatherproofing, a few rain drops won't make a difference. If you're working out in a hailstorm, well I doubt you'd want to get even an old feature phone out in that weather. You can buy silicon or leather cases, nice and waterproof. I recommend one that has a flip front, so it can be out but still protected. Having a plastic cover would only impede the touch screen.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. Not fussed about the 4g, its more because I've played on a Touch HD2 and would the same screen, but on an android phone. I assume if we get it, it will have a different name with the 4g removed. Heard very mixed reports abouts the Milestone's keyboard and would quite like a phone with a snapdragon or equivalent.

Now to decide to wait or just get a Desire.

With the waterproofing, its essential to me. I'm an outdoor instructor and killed several smartphones, by having them damp a lot and eventually the insides just corrode away. At the moment I use my Touch HD as a GPS unit, with the maps on screen in an Ortleib case, but since its a resistive screen its not an issue. I often use it all day in the driving rain. Guess I need to find a phone with a capacitive touch and put it to the test.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones