• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help managing files on PC when the touchscreen is not working

OOHH scary thanks :) no no dont apologize for the delay. It was a much quicker response than i had expected :)

ok i have the HTC ONE X

no idea about the debugging... i have plugged it into my computer before and it worked but now it wont

and rooted it? uhm :) no idea

i did find my ip address of the phone but when i go to it, it says the page cannot be displayed.... maybe im doing something wrong.

THANKS AGAINA SCARY :)

:)

You are most welcome!

Hmm, I was just making sure about your device model (was pretty sure you had a One X).

The reason I asked those questions is to see if there might be alternative method (i.e., other than the standard ones you've already tried) that might be able to give you access.

I'm not sure what to have you try other than the app that I wrote for Rachel. See post #13 (http://androidforums.com/htc-one-x-xl/611035-managing-files-pc-when-touchscreen-not-working.html#post4911064) above and the subsequent posts and discussion.

I don't think Rachel was ever really successful using the above app, but it certainly couldn't hurt for you to try, though.

Read over it and let us know what you think and if you have any questions.

Upvote 0
ok ill try it. how do i get this app and what do i do :)

thank you again. you have no idea how much this means to me.

See post #13 above...read through it carefully first so you know what will be going on and what you need to look for.

Several of us tested this process on our phones and it worked well (i.e., pretending that we had broken touch screens) and were able to navigate to our files on the phone via the WiFi File Explorer app and a browser on your PC.

Getting the correct IP address for your phone (i.e., what WiFi File Explorer would report if you could see it's screen) is the tricky part... Read through the posts subsequent to #13, too, to see other advice on how to improve your odds/knowledge about that.

Good luck! :)

Reactions: scotty85 and laraw
Upvote 0
i just downloaded the apps, restarted my phone then tried my ip address in my browser but it says the page cannot be displayed :(

Are you sure you know the IP address to use? How did you arrive at that address (and what was the address that you tried?).

I.e., there should be an option in your wi-fi router configuration to display which IP address is currently assigned to your Android phone (we're also assuming that you had wi-fi on, too).

On my Linksys router, there's a "DHCP Clients Table" display in the Status -> Local Network tabs.

Other routers will undoubtedly be different, but you get the idea.

Let us know :).

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Lara,

Also, try a second reboot, too!

I just re-tried all of this and it took a second reboot before it started working (you still have to know the proper IP address).

After the reboot, remember to give your phone a little time to finish the booting-up process.

Also, can you see the notification/status bar at all? If so and my app is working and has launched WiFi File Explorer for you, then you'll see a little alien icon in the status bar.

Let us know!

Upvote 0
i went to my router login and got all the ip's for all my wireless devies. My ip is 192.168.1.5 so i went to http://192.168.1.5:8000 and got "internet explorer cannot display the webpage" also tried it in firefox and chrome. nothing came up

i see LOTS of icons... not sure if i see an alien icon.... ill try get a picture of my screen with my digital camera (hope it comes out ok) upload it so you can see what i see :)

Upvote 0
i went to my router login and got all the ip's for all my wireless devies. My ip is 192.168.1.5 so i went to http://192.168.1.5:8000 and got "internet explorer cannot display the webpage" also tried it in firefox and chrome. nothing came up

i see LOTS of icons... not sure if i see an alien icon.... ill try get a picture of my screen with my digital camera (hope it comes out ok) upload it so you can see what i see :)

That looks and sounds right...

Hmm, did you see the little download icon show-up on your phone when you pushed the two apps from the Play Market on your desktop?

BTW, the little alien head icon has a yellow background (its pretty ugly--I wanted to make sure it stood-out ;) :)).

Also, on my router, the "Client Host Name" shows as an entry prefixed with "android-". You can / should try all the combinations of the addresses, I had three "residual" ones show up on my display and had to sort through them to find the right one...

Upvote 0
no i dont see the alien with a yellow background. I have what looks an android.....

i did see it download and install.....

this is what my ip shows up in my devices on my network 192.168.1.5ANDROID-2D23BF3357D i took out a few letters :)

what else do i try? im not very computer saavy :) other ip's or variations?

Here's what the status bar will look like (and what the WiFi File Explorer screen would normally look like if you could see it):

Screenshot_2012-10-17-19-10-02.png

Have you tried the second reboot? (I'm guessing / betting you have...).

Also, you saw both apps download and install, right? You could try re-pushing the install (the Play Market page will tell you if it thinks it's already installed).

edit: also notice that WiFi File Explorer also puts its own icon on the screen (on the , too (a little wi-fi antenna / indicator)--its the third from the left.

Upvote 0
i did see both apps install however i dont see the icons up top. only MY wifi icon. maybe i have so many notifications that i just cant see them?

i did go back into the apps on the play store and they said they were installed.

I'm not sure what's going on, Lara...:( :thinking:

It's a lot like the problems Rachel had...

Do you see the "normal" wi-fi indicator icon on your notification/status bar (that's usually on the top right side of the screen)?

If not, I'm guessing that wi-fi isn't turned on and that's why it's not working...

Upvote 0
yeah i do see my wifi icon. my laptop that im using right now to communicate with you right now is running off that wifi :p so i know it's working.

if the phone was opened up can the memory be taken out somehow?

this is very very important to me to get these files. breaking my heart ;(

I do really appreciate you tyring to help me out. You have no idea what it means to me. :) thank you so much

Upvote 0
yeah i do see my wifi icon. my laptop that im using right now to communicate with you right now is running off that wifi :p so i know it's working.

if the phone was opened up can the memory be taken out somehow?

this is very very important to me to get these files. breaking my heart ;(

I do really appreciate you tyring to help me out. You have no idea what it means to me. :) thank you so much

I'm not really familiar with the One X, but a quick Google search tells me that it does not have a removable SD card :(.

I'm happy to try to help--I just wish we were having more luck...

Have you tried again to connect the phone to your PC to see if you can see the phone's files? It's possible that using another USB cable might help (we've seen this before).

I'm guessing though that you're having the issue where you can't do the pull-down menu to allow it to be mounted as a disk drive from the USB cable (i.e., since your touch screen isn't working).

Also, if you knew that you had previously turned USB debugging on, we could try to use adb to access your files. But it's likely you've never had a reason to do this, so I'm not hopeful in that respect.

Upvote 0
not much to add... with exception that it may be useful to know wich one X you have. the international 4 core one X is different than both the dual core att "one XL" and the sprint "LTEvo"

in the event you had the sprint LTEvo,it does have a removeable sd card,so your task would be simple :D

failing that, if you have the international one X,you can unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery,where you can simply enable usb storage and transfer things normally. to go this route,we just need to figure out for sure where your pics are stored,and what would or would not be deleted during the unlock process. i know that when i unlocked my att one XL it did not delete photos stored on the internal sd,but im not 100% sure thats a unique or exceptional situation,as some "trickery" is involved getting the att version to unlock.

if youd like to consider this,more info starting at post 38

PS hi mister scary! :D

Upvote 0
i got my phone through att how do i know what version it is?

how do i get that screen on post 38?

and i dont care about the warranty :) so ill do it ;)

noooooo! Unfortunately,you have the att version,which is not supported by htdev unlock. :( in order to unlock this device,you need to change the CID of the phone,and to do that you need to be on older firmware,and have USB debugging set in your phone settings.

You can check the info on your hboot screen,but if your phone is on the most recent ota, and USB debug isn't on, afraid this won't be an option

Have you tried the suggestions earlier in the thread to "adb pull" info from the phone?

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
so we know for sure web debug isn't on?I had just skimmed over all the posts, I wasn't sure if that was mentioned or not :(

Not 100% sure, but our very early exchange out it:

scary alien said:
2. Do you know if you have USB Debugging enabled?

laraw said:
no idea about the debugging... i have plugged it into my computer before and it worked but now it wont

So I thought I'd exhaust the more straightforward possibilities first.

I'm guessing HTC Sync is still the best means to get USB drivers for an HTC Device? (been a while since I've tracked that down).

We could then use the Mini-SDK.zip (yours or mine :)) to test adb access, provided the proper drivers get installed...

Upvote 0
Lara,

Two things:

1. I know Scotty had a very late and very busy evening, so pardon him not getting back with you right away. He's one of our best and brightest, so, in addition to real-life, there's lots of folks asking for his time, knowledge, and expertise, which he graciously tries to accommodate. I'm sure he'll reply as soon as he's able to.

You've been wonderfully patient and thankful, and that is most appreciated and helpful :).

2. I re-re-re-tested my AF Rescue app again and I do see an issue with it that I'm not sure I'll be able to fix. The issue might have also been there and was simply missed during testing and debugging, or it might be a new behavior of some of the newer versions of Android. The issue is pretty simple: it appears that you have to have previously run my AF Rescue app in order for it to register itself as wanting to receive a boot-completed message (this is the mechanism that allows the app to try to start-up the WiFi Explorer for you without you having to or able able to use your touchscreen).

I'm trying to research and test this (haven't found much confirmation other than my own testing), but at least this explains why you and Rachel (OP) had trouble getting my AF Rescue app to be useful.

I'll keep digging.

Cheers and thanks for your patience :).

Upvote 0
thanks,mister scary,and lara sorry flr the late response,i didnt forget about you! :)

ok got to the screen

*locked*

evita put ship s-on rl
hboot-1.14.0002
radio-0.19as.32.09.11_2
open dsp-v29.1.0.45.0622
emmc-boot
june 11 2012, 14:36:28

then

fastboot
recovery
factory reset
clear storage
simlock
image crc
powerdown

does this help you guys at all?
unfortunately,it does tell us youre on the evita for certain(att one xl) wich is not part of htcs official unlock program :(

and,you are on the latest firmware wich there is no temp root for,so its not possible to change the CID and trick the phone into unlocking. :(

looks like weve hit a wall here :banghead:

We could then use the Mini-SDK.zip (yours or mine :)) to test adb access, provided the proper drivers get installed...

sounds like a good next step :) either mini-sdk file prolly is fine,i like to use revolutionarys modified htc drivers

i can provide some directions later,or feel free to if you get a chance... for now ive got to get to work :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones