• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Manually moved android folder to SD card

So my tablet only has 16GB of internal storage and I'm constantly running out of space, and I've tried many things to create more. I was trying to download pubg mobile, and had to clear some things first. I got it, and it was working fine. But I tried to get an in game download (Miramar map) which was far too big for the amount of space I had left. So it just stopped mid download once the device ran out of space. I had no way to delete the data that was already downloaded, and my internal storage was down to almost zero, so I tried going into files and moving my entire android folder directly into the my SD card. I should've known, but now pubg won't work. whenever I open it I get the message "download failed because the external storage is full". But my external storage isn't even close to full (9.5GB out of 64GB) so I'm not sure why it says that. My guess as to what the problem is is that I deleted the necessary data for pubg to run, but it won't come back either. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but it just moved directly to the SD card because that's how Google play works I guess, and no new data for the game was created. I also tried disabling the play store and force stopping it, which didn't work. It's hard to tell what I need answered. What sort of problems does moving the android folder have and how can they be fixed? Is there a way to make the play store completely forget I ever downloaded the app? Please help

Could you provide more details please?
-- What is the model I.D. of your Tab S?
-- Which version of Android is it running?
-- Did you root it or is it stock?

Just offhand from the sound of it you've been manually moving around directories that the Android OS typically manages, creating a situation where system apps like the Play Store app can no longer detect just what apps and services are where anymore.
Also, if you've been leaving your files (photos, music, videos, etc.) on the internal storage, that would be the exact opposite thing you should be doing -- it would be better to instead have your files stored on the card while leaving the apps and their configuration files on the internal storage. With 16GB of internal storage and you're running low on free space, either you have a really, really large number of apps installed, or there's something else going on.
If you look in your Settings >> Storage menu, what does that show you for the internal storage? The operating system itself should only be taking up 3-5GB so there's obviously a lot of mystery data being stored there.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones