• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mapping App that Gives Good "Birds Eye" View Of Other Places While Navigating

larrytxeast

Nov 3, 2011
I am trying to utilize GPS in a way to where you can get a good "overview" or "bird's eye view" of what is going on, especially with respect to showing your starred favorites while you're navigating towards a given spot.

What I like to do--enter certain places we may consider, have them show on the map, ALL of them, to where you can easily see other places of interest while navigating to a particular other "current" one. The trouble I have with Google Maps--I may be navigating to a certain place, and then I will wonder "is so and so on this route?" There is no easy way to see this, even if it it's one of your starred favorites, because if you tap the star in Google Maps it doesn't say anything about it if you currently have it navigating to any given spot. The only way to see at that point is to back out of navigating mode and then have it re-route again from scratch.

(I think older versions of Google Maps, the 6-series especially, did better at this. I have 8.2 or whatever currently.)

Is there something I can do with respect to this? It sure would be nice if Bing, MapQuest and Yahoo!, all of whom have map sites in the browser at the PC, would create alternative mapping/navigating applications. Besides this issue, I also hate how you can't easily rename favorite starred places in Google Maps. Waze, which a lot of people recommend, seems to be able to do this, but I don't see a way that it can the "bird's eye" of other places while navigating to a different one any better than Google Maps.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones