• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Maps API and billing

23tony

Mar 26, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I was looking over the maps (directions) API billing information here https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/directions/usage-and-billing

If I'm reading this correctly, you would have to estimate the average user's usage of the API and price your app accordingly based on that. And if you underestimate, you could lose money. Am I understanding correctly?

It seems like it's practically impossible to offer a free/nearly-free map app with directions, given this.

I had not considered that, wasn't even aware of it. I'll definitely check it out.

But if even that one charges (beyond a certain point) it certainly seems that a free map app is out of the question if it were to gain any traction. (bit IF, I know).

That said, it definitely looks like TomTom is cheaper - about 1/10 the price of Google if I'm reading their pricing chart correctly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones