• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Market Auto Update

Upvote 0
But don't you find it strange, if we accept that rooting has no effect on market, why would the fact that yours is essentially unbranded and gets updating, and me,cubz and others dont. I can't for the life of me believe carriers would implement this.

We need some others to come on and state whether or not they can auto update, and a couple of details about their phone status to figure out what the differences are.

Upvote 0
But don't you find it strange, if we accept that rooting has no effect on market, why would the fact that yours is essentially unbranded and gets updating, and me,cubz and others dont. I can't for the life of me believe carriers would implement this.

We need some others to come on and state whether or not they can auto update, and a couple of details about their phone status to figure out what the differences are.

Well to me it just seems like ONLY unbrandad phones have received the update. Maybe branded phones will get the update soon :)

Upvote 0

Well to me it just seems like ONLY unbrandad phones have received the update. Maybe branded phones will get the update soon :)

Both valid points and as previously posted it would be great to find out why - does seem strange that as the MARKET is universal - IE available on every phone, that some phones have the feature and others not

Must admit its great not being notified that i need to updat any of my 50 apps anymore

lets see what the future brings

Upvote 0
Both valid points and as previously posted it would be great to find out why - does seem strange that as the MARKET is universal - IE available on every phone, that some phones have the feature and others not

Must admit its great not being notified that i need to updat any of my 50 apps anymore

lets see what the future brings

It's a mystery. I will contact SE, see what they say :) I will report back when/if I receive a reply :)

Reactions: slugpace
Upvote 0
So I got a reply from SE today...

Here is the question I asked...

How come unbranded X10 phones have the option to auto-update downloaded apps on the market but branded phones do not?

Here is the reply I received...

Hi Andrew, At the moment we are unable to confirm this however if this isn't available there should be an app which can assist.

So as usual, not much help! It will remain a mystery for now

However, I will contact Google (The department in charge of Android market Support), see what they have to say...I will report back when/if I receive a reply :)

EDIT: It seems like they do not accept emails, so I will ask on their official forum as the website states that they check the forum regularly

Upvote 0
wow can't belive this topic has gone on for this long. Auto update is a 2.2 feature only. It's not available unless you are running Froyo.

"Google’s next Android operating system version is Android 2.2 (Froyo). The Android 2.2 software update will give users the option to auto update all their downloaded Android apps, so they don’t have to update each app manually. If you have a ton of apps, you know it can be frustrating and time consuming to manually update each one individually. This new feature is very convenient for Android users because it saves them a lot of time."

Upvote 0
wow can't belive this topic has gone on for this long. Auto update is a 2.2 feature only. It's not available unless you are running froyo.

"google’s next android operating system version is android 2.2 (froyo). The android 2.2 software update will give users the option to auto update all their downloaded android apps, so they don’t have to update each app manually. If you have a ton of apps, you know it can be frustrating and time consuming to manually update each one individually. This new feature is very convenient for android users because it saves them a lot of time."

Erm not wanting to sound harsh - but i think you'll find you're completely wrong

**EDIT**

Proof is in the pudding so here is a set of screen shots taken in the last 20 minutes - of note is the items i've highlighted in a sequence from left to right

1) the firmware is showing as 1.6
2) in my downloads i've chosen ADW
3) as you'll notice, option to auto update is checked

Updater.jpg

So -- to be fair, i can probably see this thread going on for quite a while until we work out who can and who can't get access to this feature on good old DONUT

Upvote 0
Erm not wanting to sound harsh - but i think you'll find you're completely wrong

On the android market forums, I keep getting the same reply telling me it's only available on 2.x, but nobody listens when I say some unbranded phones have it even tho they are on 1.6. They think they know everything, when clearly they don't. Bloody useless

Upvote 0
Well, here's one to make things clear as mud:

I'm on a branded ATT X10a, rooted, and running Eminence (2.1 Rom), and I have the auto-update option - it's been there as long as I can remember, and I just rooted and upgraded the OS last weekend.

I don't, however, have the 'remove update' option in the applications > manage apps screen for market.

Upvote 0
Well, here's one to make things clear as mud:

I'm on a branded ATT X10a, rooted, and running Eminence (2.1 Rom), and I have the auto-update option - it's been there as long as I can remember, and I just rooted and upgraded the OS last weekend.

I don't, however, have the 'remove update' option in the applications > manage apps screen for market.

I solved this last year....old topic.

I was on 1.6 at the time. I'm now on 2.2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones