• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

market download ?

Arsonman

Nov 5, 2009
I have the Razr MAXX and everytime I try to download any app from the market it starts and then stops and tells me that I need to download via wifi. This is for updates and new apps. I have looked and I do not have the box for download over wifi only checked.

Any ideas of why this is happening?

Nope, the downloads are mostly updates to an app that I was able to download over 4g. Also, it is not just a few but every single download that I attempt in the market forces me to download over wifi. However, just to make sure, I just went to the market and attempted to download something that did not say wifi needed and it stopped the download stating that I need to do it over wifi.

Upvote 0
OK, just checking. Have you tried clearing data and cache for the market app?

Settings | Apps | All | Market

if that doesn't work, try clearing data and cache for:

Downloads
Download Manager

and a last trick that I know of (there may be others) is to uninstall updates to the Market app.

Oh, and I have heard that WiFi only apps can be downloaded on 4G (I live outside of 4G area so I can't try:()

Upvote 0
Pupkact, thanks for your help. I was able to fix the issue. It turns out it was user error :rolleyes: Settings>Data Manager>Data Saver. I had the Data Saver checked. This actually put browser, gallery music email and market to download over wifi only. Unchecked box, everything is ok now. Again thanks for your attempts to help, it really was appreciated.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Pupkact, thanks for your help. I was able to fix the issue. It turns out it was user error :rolleyes: Settings>Data Manager>Data Saver. I had the Data Saver checked. This actually put browser, gallery music email and market to download over wifi only. Unchecked box, everything is ok now. Again thanks for your attempts to help, it really was appreciated.

Can you expound on that? I am not familiar with that setting and I cant find it on ICS (GNex) and I would like to put another tool in the toolbox. You are teaching me something here.:)

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is on ICS. I am running stock 2.3.6. It is under settings/data manager. In Data Manager there is a Data Saver area. Once in the data saver there is a box to check. Once checked it it will que the downloads of the market, brower and others till you are connected to wifi. I guess it is there so you don't use up your data to download things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones