• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Market fix?

u00mem9

Lurker
May 4, 2010
The market problem is the biggest issue for me, and it is incredible that sprint hasn't fixed it.

My question is, do any of the 2.1 roms or the RUU have the market fixed? I have seen a few comments on how to fix it on a rooted phone, but they were cryptic and obviously meant for someone above my level on this. I haven't rooted, and likely won't if Sprint can just resolve this huge FAIL.

Thanks in advance

there are many apps that don't show on the hero. I have a friend with a droid. When we both type OBD into the market search function, he has a list of OBDII scanner apps, while I have "not found". That is just one example, but it happens so often, that I don't bother looking for apps, as the best one is probably not showing up.

Lack of an online market and search contributes to the problem, and is also hard to understand.

Upvote 0
well, essentially that's happening because of the version of android you have. the market appears different in 2.1 (at least i gather that from what i've read) and your phone won't pull up apps that aren't compatible with it. the only thing sprint can do to fix how google built their market is to get us an updated version of android, or you can root your phone and put on a custom rom.

the fact you can't see the same apps though is actually normal and there's not anything broken. it's just the way it is unless you update to 2.1 (maybe other versions too will change the market appearance but you'll still run into the compatibility thing).

*and many users are all in the same boat as you with this phone, except for those that have rooted and put on a new rom. and based on some stuff i've read out there, this could be a big problem for android, as there are devices that aren't out yet, that will likely be released with older android versions still even when noone wants those older versions now. This is sort of the same problem MS ran into with windows mobile where they had such a wide base of phones, it became impossible to sustain the software. google will eventually have to just say look, we only allow you to install up to x # of versions back or something, on new devices.

Upvote 0
The issue you describe is NOT a Sprint or Google Issue. Rather, it is the Dev's who have programmed the app's to WORK with a particular set of instruction that is present with different versions of the OS. Some app's MAY work across versions (earlier or later) but is not supported by the Dev anyway and if it doesn't work correctly they won't fix your problem.

you posts themselves were a little cryptic... I find anyway... But from what I read, you are worried about something that which does not affect you as your phone is not rooted. When and if you update your Hero to 2.x when it comes out, those app's written by Dev's that support 2.x will then be available to you. Correct me if I'm wrong in my interpretation of your postings. ;)

Regards,
:cool:

Upvote 0
Here are the instructions from the following link... Post #22

Programs missing from market with RUU 2.1 - Page 3 - xda-developers

1. download and install android sdk
2. place build.prop in the android sdk tools folder, plug in phone and make sure usb debugging is turned on.
3. click start menu and type cmd
4. cd c:\android-sdk-windows\tools\ *use your full directory name
5. adb remount
6. adb devices *should display serial number
7. adb push build.prop /system/
8. adb reboot

your phone should restart, clear your market cache and you're done. I also did this, been 5 hours so far no luck with showing protected apps yet.

edit: new apps now showing in my market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones