• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Matrix Kernel - Version 1.1

jimsmith80

Android Expert
Aug 22, 2012
Phoenix AZ
Reactions: Golono
How to Build:

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Software requirements:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1) Linux.... All distros should be able to build this kernel without a problem. I am running Debian Jessie aka testing. If you are new to Linux I would highly recommend using either Mint or Ubuntu as they are the most user friendly in my opinion. If you are a beginner and need a light system due to limited hardware Lubuntu should work fine.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2) There is quite a bit of additional software that is required to an android kernel. The following link will provide you information on setting up a system that uses .deb binaries.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://source.android.com/source/initializing.html[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3) you will also need to install git. To copy my repo to you local dirve use the command git clone followed by the URL to my repo.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4) A cross complier tool chain. This is needed to build an ARM kernel on PC/MAC/any thing else that does not use an ARM processor. I use the 4.4.3 tool chain that can be found on Doomloard's git hub, and I will likely fork this repo to my own github[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]https://github.com/DooMLoRD/android_prebuilt_toolchains[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]How to buld the kernel:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]1) Navigate to the directory where the kernel source has downloaded to.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]2) In the root of the Kernel source execute - $ export CROSS_COMPILE=/home/path/to/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi-[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3) Now run - $ make clean && make mrproper[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]4) $ cp matrixconfig .config[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]5) $ make menuconfig – This will bring up a UI that will allow you to modify the kernel configuration. If you just want to build matrix kernel without modifying it simply select exit.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]6) make ARCH=arm[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Now the kernel will build and the end result will be a zImage located in /arch/arm/boot.[/FONT]

Upvote 0
the way these kernels are compiled, its mainly for just the board type (zte added a few things for it to work such as battery module) but i know the voltage for 1.8 ghz is 1300 mV (written in zte OC module at arch/arm/mach-msm/zte_krait_oc.c) and i scaled the others accordingly...

edit: i used the info i got from OC module to make the Galaxy Victory OC

Upvote 0
the way these kernels are compiled, its mainly for just the board type (zte added a few things for it to work such as battery module) but i know the voltage for 1.8 ghz is 1300 mV (written in zte OC module at arch/arm/mach-msm/zte_krait_oc.c) and i scaled the others accordingly...

edit: i used the info i got from OC module to make the Galaxy Victory OC

I made a few edits to acpu8960.c from you 2.1 ghz table and we now have oc to 1.67. Quad is benching in the high 5400s. There are other issues to work out still, but I'm working on it off and on. the new kernel will be in the next DroidSmith update

Upvote 0
I want to see it in cm10. I think I'm just about done with ICS/stock ROM, I hate it. And even though cm10 isn't complete, it runs a thousand times better than the stock ROM and I'm loving it.

Mouse or Junkie are more than welcome to use this kernel source in there build. If I was them I would wait until its a little further along in development.

Upvote 0
Hey, JimSmith, I loved your work on the DroidSmith ROM. I saw this the other day, and I'm quite confused as to what it does. I'm quite new to the flashing roms, and such, and no idea what a kernel actually does for you.

Can this be combined with CM/DroidSmith? Also, What exactly does this "kernel" offer, rather than stock ZTE rooted/with CM/DroidSmith?

If you could be as descriptive as possible, or if anyone else could answer, just remember that I have no idea wtf this is. haha.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Kernels control the speeds the processor runs at as well as when it runs at what speed (the governor built into the kernel controls this). Some kernels allow for greater underclocking/overclocking than others. Some also undervolt the phone and allow you to tweak it as you see fit. Personally I think kernels have a greater effect on battery than any thing else you can flash. After changing you may need to give it a day or two to settle in before you can accurately judge the performance of the kernel. Kernels have different governor options you will see each handles scaling of the CPU differently than others. If you have questions about specific terms be sure to ask

Reactions: jimsmith80
Upvote 0
keep in mind this will NOT work with cm as is. it would have to be repackaged with the correct ramdisk. if someone wants to do it themselves and make an update package with every kernel release that is fine i actually encourage it but untill the work on the kernel has slowed down at least i dont wanna have to update my kernel source every other day to keep up

Upvote 0
Redjama is right on them money. In short the kernel is the brain behind android that runs everything. Matrix kernel is integrated into DroidSmith that's why it can be overclocked. The kernel build in DroidSmith is older than my current work which you see here. Eventually I will build zip files which can be flashed to any rom for the force. Its only available in source code form for now, so it has to be built in order to run. Every update of DroidSmith will have the latest version of Matrix kernel included

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones