• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Media not being transferred by WhatsApp since 22nd July2021

glyderman

Lurker
Jul 28, 2021
Re: Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 using Android 4.4.4 not being able to send or receive media using WhatsApp

Hi,

To run through what I have tried to solve the problem of media not being sent orreceived by Whatsapp since 22nd July.
Uninstalled and Reinstalled Whatsapp - no success.
Blocked wifi and used Mobile data network - no success.
Contacted my phone provider Three and ran through tests on phone with them - no success.
Contacted WhatsApp help and tried their suggestions. They say no problem with their system. - no success.
Reset phone and reinstalled WhatsApp - no success.
Flashed original stock image from Samsung with Android 4.4.4 then only installed WhatsApp nothing else - no success.
Tried a different ISP outside - no success.

On sending from another phone to my Mega 2 phone the 2 ticks on the send phone
would show blue even though on the receiving Mega2 phone it would have a blurred image with over writing saying "Unable to download please try again later"

After all this troubleshooting I am led to believe the problem is with WhatsApp or the servers it uses.

Then, while I was trying it once again on Monday testing between the Samsung Mega2 phone and my other phone it suddenly sent an image through. I realised that I had pressed the retry 5 times before it finally sent. It was then working for an hour or so before it stopped again.
When it had stopped working I tried again to send, and yes, if i kept pressing the retry button it would always send on the 5th try and also then be able to receive media.

It would continue to be able to send and receive through WhatsApp for a limited time perhaps an hour or two. It seems to stop after a random time.

I have now tried this approach several times when it has stopped sending media and every time, if I then press the retry button 5 times it starts to send again for a short time.

This again makes me believe the problem is with WhatsApp or their servers as there is nothing but the stock image on my phone and WhatsApp.

Can anyone help me with this problem. Although my other phone, a Samsung Note 7 Edge, is unaffected, I do not believe I can be the only one having this problem since the 22nd July.

Thank you,

Glyderman

Yes it uses Android 4.4.4. Unfortunately I cannot get an Android OS from Samsung newer than this for my phone. I could put another OS on it, but why should I? I am also of the generation that believes that if something cost me £300 in 2015 and is only 6 years old then it should not be classed as obsolete so soon.
I again complained to WhatsApp about this stopping on 22nd July. They now replied with "We are aware of this issue and it will be fixed on next update". So I was correct, they changed something that broke it on older phones. This thread can now be closed. Thank you for your replies.

Upvote 0
Yes it uses Android 4.4.4. Unfortunately I cannot get an Android OS from Samsung newer than this for my phone. I could put another OS on it, but why should I? I am also of the generation that believes that if something cost me £300 in 2015 and is only 6 years old then it should not be classed as obsolete so soon.
I again complained to WhatsApp about this stopping on 22nd July. They now replied with "We are aware of this issue and it will be fixed on next update". So I was correct, they changed something that broke it on older phones. This thread can now be closed. Thank you for your replies.
its called planned obsolescence. things will break down or support will cease to exist. batteries are designed to last about 3-4 years. you are probably lucky enough that your phone has a removable battery. most phones now days do not have this. also developers stop supporting older os systems as they continue to develop for the newer ones. so apps will either slow down or stop working completely.

i will not be surprised that the update they will put out will not work for your phone. but you could be lucky and the fix is simple enough that your phone can handle the update. either way keep us posted.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones