• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Merry Christmas early for Droid Tether!

john, it's late so forgive me for being dense here. can you give me a hypothetical scenario where wifi tethering would happen and how the connection would be shared etc? sorry i know i'm making this more complicated than it should be....

wifi tethering means you can use your phones as a wifi router W/ 3g connection speed. just need to creat an adhoc connection.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, I'm 89dbm but after watching for a moment it went as low as 73 dbm

Also, I'm using PdaNet 2.01 which is BETA, how about you?

And I've had to restart PdaNetabout 4 times in 15 minutes.

Tomorrow I will be tethering from a different location so that should provide some answers.

Just in case you were wondering, the higher the number, the better the signal.

And since we're talking about negative numbers here, -73dB is a better signal than -89dB, by a lot, actually.

Upvote 0
No, you do not have to pay the extra service fee, which I might add, isn't even available yet anyways.

However, you run the risk of being caught by Verizon and punished.

I've been tethering here and there a bit and so far no extra charges listed in my data section on verizon.com. I just use it to view forums and pay bills, nothing like youtube or high data intensive surfing. I used to tether my blackberry and share the connection making an adhoc network at my job and then my co-workers could connect their deviced and use my connection. I just made sure I stayed below the 5gb cap when tethering.

Upvote 0
I've been tethering here and there a bit and so far no extra charges listed in my data section on verizon.com. I just use it to view forums and pay bills, nothing like youtube or high data intensive surfing. I used to tether my blackberry and share the connection making an adhoc network at my job and then my co-workers could connect their deviced and use my connection. I just made sure I stayed below the 5gb cap when tethering.

How did you set up the sharing w/your co-workers?

Upvote 0
I have been trying to get PDANET to work on my droid/mac via usb since the update. I have them installed on both my macbook pro and droid and when I try to connect via usb to tether, it always says 'phone not attached' when clearly it is, because I use my usb cord like everyday to mount. I don't know what the deal is... is anyone else having this problem? I am running leopard 10.5.8 and android 2.0.1. I am usually sort of tech savy, but this one has me stumped.

Upvote 0
I have been trying to get PDANET to work on my droid/mac via usb since the update. I have them installed on both my macbook pro and droid and when I try to connect via usb to tether, it always says 'phone not attached' when clearly it is, because I use my usb cord like everyday to mount. I don't know what the deal is... is anyone else having this problem? I am running leopard 10.5.8 and android 2.0.1. I am usually sort of tech savy, but this one has me stumped.

Don't forget to turn on USB Debugging in the Applications settings in the Droid's Settings control panel.

Upvote 0
hm, i have that enabled cause i did get cable tethering to work.

so i tried to do, pair via bluetooth (mac) and then run pdanet and then enable bluetooth.. then go to network setting, click plus sign (bluetooth DUN) and then put in some random number (#777) and then connect...

but that doesnt work, so any help would be great.. thanks!

Upvote 0
@staticfive, bthoward, Dilligaf, et. al.,
If you're looking to tether your Verizon Droid to Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10, checkout this blog entry:
http://www.humans-enabled.com/2009/12/how-to-tether-your-verizon-droid-as.htmlLinux + GNU = Humans Enabled: How to Tether your Verizon Droid (as an Internet modem) to Ubuntu GNU/Linux 9.10

Cheers!
Shannon VanWagner
humans-enabled
FREE YOURSELF, Use GNU/LINUX! gnu.org | fsf.org | linux.com | getgnulinux.org | ubuntuguide.org | whylinuxisbetter.net | openoffice.org | humans-enabled.com | ubuntu.com | distrowatch.com | makethemove.net | livecdlist.com

Upvote 0
However, you run the risk of being caught by Verizon and punished.

Added pic for emphasis*

spanking.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones