• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Message ringtone (sound) is cut short.

LD1

Lurker
Jan 17, 2017
I asked this on another android message board and thought I would try here and see if I get quicker responses. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.

Seems I hate Android 7.0.

Back about august or september, my phone was a droid turbo 2. Totally locked up. Had to factory reset and lost everything. So was basically starting over. A week later, my wifes phone, also a turbo 2 decided to factory reset itself and she lost everything. We were due for upgrade anyway, so we did. We both got the new droid moto z force.

Shortly after getting the phones I noticed I was missing alot of texts. After reading and researching the issue, it all seems to stem from the "escalating ringtone" function of Android 7.0. After calls to verizon for help, it was suggested that I install Zedge and use a louder and longer ring tone. My wife chose the Usher ringtone and I chose the "turkey being shot". Worked well. The notification sound lasted long enough, that it was able to escalate to full volume. Not the ideal solution because I just hate the escalating ring tone, but I could at least live with it.

Well, two weeks ago my earpiece speaker fried in my phone, so I got a replacement phone. It had an older version of android 6.something. No escalating ringtone. But I had gotten used to the turkey ringtone anyway so I stuck with that and worked fine. Well, the phone updated itself to 7.0 and now any ringtone I try seems to be limited to ~2 seconds. If you are familiar with the "turkey being shot" tone, the turkey gobbles 3 times and thats it. No other tone I try lasts longer than 2 seconds in the messenger+ app. Even though when "previewed" they are a 5-6 second long tone.

Any ideas on a solution? My wifes phone is also 7.0 but dont seem to cut them short like mine. Same messenger+ app and same zedge ring tones. Basically identical phones.

I still have not found a solution, and it seems to only be the messenger + app. Any other notifications I get, Facebook, google alerts, instagram, etc all play the full tone I have set. Only the texts. Cant seem to find a fix. I may try to change the default message app back to the standard (green) app

Upvote 0
I'm having a similar problem with my ringtone. It seems with Android 7, I can no longer silence notifications and not silence my ringtone. There used to be separate volume settings for ringtones and for notifications. I could set notification sounds to be silent and ring tone to not. I have an app that automatically set this depending on whether or not I'm sleeping. With Android 7, there are no longer separate volume settings for ring tones and notifications. My app when I set to silence notifications, my ring town now sounds for about a second and that's it.

Upvote 0
I have the same issue with my LG V20 on Android 7.0. My text notification sound is around 7 seconds long and it only plays maybe 2 seconds of the sound so I keep missing messages because I don't hear it 99% of the time. I am using Verizon's Messaging plus app but I also tried the native app and that did the same thing. I have also backed up and then deleted all my text messages but that didn't help either. My wife's Droid Turbo now does the exact same thing now that It upgraded to Android 7.0. This leads me to believe it's either a problem with Verizon's updates or with Android 7.0 it's self.

Anyone have any luck getting past this issue yet?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones