• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
If you install the updated zanfur kernel, you'll be able to go above 710. I did that for my dad's Eris and it's working fine. Uses the stock lockscreen, too.

Here's the patch: Overclock Patch and update.zip - xda-developers

Yeah, I kinda suspected I could tweak it in other ways (thanks for the heads-up though). I'm not really a ROM flasher or tweaker :eek: (neither term being meant disparagingly or double-entendre' (okay, maybe the latter :D)) since this is my day-to-day phone and I can't afford to goober it. Also, Ivan says he's building 1.1 "for speed" (plus, I think he is waiting for the 2.1 OTA patch being sent on the 16th to grab those code fixes).

Hopefully, after tomorrow I'll feel more free to experiment with some spinners and chrome hood ornaments... Hmmm, is something being released in the wild tomorrow....? (hint: think "X" :))

Upvote 0
I still would like some OC guru to explain to me why my xtrROM (and Aloysius) run just as fast unclocked as they do with settings in the 700s.

The mflops go up with high SetCPU settings, but I see no real speed increase.

EE, Ivan's and several others didn't have that effect at all, especially EE3.

Frisco,

I posted (yesterday?) a quick & dirty Linpack test on Ivan's ROM with and without overclocking and got almost identical MFLOPS. I just think that 710MHz (that I'm overclocked at) is too far off from the base 528MHz speed of the CPU to make that much difference (and is therefore a pretty safe speed to overclock at).

I don't remember if Nestor posted any Linpack scores from his Ivan's 1.0 with JIT and Zanfur's OC patch installed (don't know how fast he is overclocked to)... Nestor, you out there? :D

edit: P.S. maybe a ROM developer could weigh-in regarding what the core differences there are between how the ROMs are built, since I think this is almost certainly the key factor in how "fast" a ROM is ("fast" still being the subjective adjective). Many ROMs are "derived" (i.e., from HTC's builds), others are source-compiled, etc. Each of these methods, features, and any optimizations done for/in them must contribute to the ROMs overall speed.

Upvote 0
Right now I'm at 768, running e_o 1.0 + zanfur's kernel + jit, and I'm getting linpack scores of 5.0, 4.9, 4.8, 5.0...

At 528, running the same combination, the scores are consistently 3.6.

Without jit, it's about 3.3 at 768 and about 2.4 at 528. The score is definitely proportional to the cpu speed.

As hungryman and I have discussed on xda, we're not seeing a real-world difference from jit, just higher mflops in linpack. Perhaps in froyo it makes a bigger difference.

Keep in mind I'm running Sense, so I have to use the Desire version of jit. Also, most non-sense roms are faster.

Upvote 0
I'm referring more to the perception of menu and app speed not overclocked, particularly in xtrROM and Aloysius Snow (I keep changing my mind about which seems faster).

When I overclocked Evil Eris 3, and saw mflops around 4.2 at 710, it did not have the snap to it that xtrROM and Aloysius do not overclocked even though the mflops go way down in the 2s.

I want to understand why.

The thing you're pointing out, Scarey Alien, about the usable capacity of the CPU (as I take what you're saying) makes sense and is a factor, for sure, but that would make it seem that the xtrROM and Aloysius devs know how to use the CPU better than overclocking. :thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm referring more to the perception of menu and app speed not overclocked, particularly in xtrROM and Aloysius Snow (I keep changing my mind about which seems faster).

When I overclocked Evil Eris 3, and saw mflops around 4.2 at 710, it did not have the snap to it that xtrROM and Aloysius do not overclocked even though the mflops go way down in the 2s.

The thing you're pointing out, Scarey Alien, about the usable capacity of the CPU (as I take what you're saying) makes sense and is a factor, for sure, but that would make it seem that the xtrROM and Aloysius devs know how to use the CPU better than overclocking. :thinking:

Yep...you are right on! :) When I helped andrizoid out the other day deodexing a ROM, he was lamenting the fact that the ROM was, in his words, "heavy" (as compared to his White Widow ROMs, etc.).

The devs must surely have "fat-burning" and optimzation things that actually do make a difference (zip-aligning, compressing, other magic-y stuff :D).

Upvote 0

What launcher are you using? I am using ADW on White Widow 4.5, and I only get mflops around the 3's or so. I have not noticed any significant difference in performance when overclocking. However, there are some settings in ADW for how long it takes to switch screens and for the app drawer to pop up. I put them at the lowest settings (in milliseconds), and the "snap" was incredibly noticeable. I felt more of a speed increase just by adjusting those settings, rather than the actual SetCPU settings.

Upvote 0
have you seen the top ranking phones? Someone has their Eris at 15.9....yikes.

I just got 4.3. KaosFroyo V23, no OC.

A lot of the numbers you see in there are not real, they are spoofing it somehow, most likely with emulators on their computers. Although you will see Moto Droids hitting the 15 - 17 mark but not an eris. And I remember reading somewhere that using linpack is not necessarily a good way to measure the speed of your device. I think Quadrant might be better at measuring the speed of your device but I wouldn't recommend it as it might depress you seeing it compared to other phones out right now.

Upvote 0
A lot of the numbers you see in there are not real, they are spoofing it somehow, most likely with emulators on their computers. Although you will see Moto Droids hitting the 15 - 17 mark but not an eris. And I remember reading somewhere that using linpack is not necessarily a good way to measure the speed of your device. I think Quadrant might be better at measuring the speed of your device but I wouldn't recommend it as it might depress you seeing it compared to other phones out right now.

+1 -- I ran Quadant once after reading about it on another forum...still waiting for it to finish! :eek: [jk...its pretty graphics-intensive, though]

Upvote 0
What launcher are you using? I am using ADW..

ADW now (on Aloysius Snow).

I did some creative comparisons with the provided Helix and my former fave, LP, along with Home and of course Sense (Sense has a "phone" button, redundant to the real phone button on the bottom left of the Eris, so I moved into other launchers with unbridled glee once I found out the "phone" button was gone on them).

ADW is winning (just getting rid of the confounded "notification bar," which everybody seems to like so much, was a good enough reason to have LP, but ADW has that capability too :)).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones