• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Micro SD card problems

Rob615

Lurker
Jun 26, 2010
Bought my lovely new Wildfire today, after spending weeks looking forward to it.

I bought a larger micro SD card as well today. It's 8GB but the problem is my phone isn't recognising it at all.
As soon as i put the supplied 2GB one in it recognises and prepares it immediately. With the 8, nothing happens.

Both are Sandisk. Visible differences between the two cards: the 8Gb has a 4 in a circle, has HC in a rectangle below micro SD and has a raised bit of plastic on the back.

Any ideas why my phone doesn't recognise it?
Cheers
Rob

I also had problems with a new 8GB SDHC card for my Wildfire. When I switched the phone back on it gave me a notification that there was a problem with the card. However the notification also gave me the option to reformat the card which I accepted and the handset reformatted the card. Then when I connected to the PC, the card was recognised and I was able to transfer files over to the phone.

Upvote 0
If i turn the phone off/on, it comes with a message in the top left:
"SD card removed. insert a new one"
Even though its definitely in there!
Can't work out how to reformat it, if the phone isn't picking it up at all. And i dont have a external card reader for my pc. Only takes SD cards, not micro SD...
Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Well I'd say you have to check if the card can be read by any other devices. That way you'd know if it was a faulty card or the something wrong with the handset.

I'd say get yourself a micro-card adapter (and/or a card reader capable of reading SDHC cards) and try the new card on your PC. Or you could try it in another phone and see if it's detected.

Upvote 0
I also had problems with a new 8GB SDHC card for my Wildfire. When I switched the phone back on it gave me a notification that there was a problem with the card. However the notification also gave me the option to reformat the card which I accepted and the handset reformatted the card. Then when I connected to the PC, the card was recognised and I was able to transfer files over to the phone.

Tried that didn't work for me, tried with 2gb, 4gb and 8gb. Wildfire just destorys card after card...

Upvote 0
Well, I have similair issues, with my wildfire, or should I say crappyfire. I have purchased 3 different size micro sd cards from ligit PC firms 2gb, 4gb and 8gb, all worked perfect in an adapter and have until I put them into my wildfire, oh yeah sorry crappyfire. Then I get an error, card corrupted, sc card blank or my favourite, unsupported filesystem! Even after I reformatted card with the device. Now there is now way 3 cards are bad, they are legit and like I said have worked before no bother, for months and months, then when I insert them into the Crappyfire, that is the end of them, they will no longer work in my crappyfire or my PC. I did read somewhere that widfire may over heat and this can cause the cd card to go bad, if this is a the case, whats the point of external memory if the card is just going to go bad, I have gotten on to my provider and htc, still waiting for answers, must say I am very VERY disappointed in this crappyfire from HTC.

Upvote 0
Well, I have similair issues, with my wildfire, or should I say crappyfire. I have purchased 3 different size micro sd cards from ligit PC firms 2gb, 4gb and 8gb, all worked perfect in an adapter and have until I put them into my wildfire, oh yeah sorry crappyfire. Then I get an error, card corrupted, sc card blank or my favourite, unsupported filesystem! Even after I reformatted card with the device. Now there is now way 3 cards are bad, they are legit and like I said have worked before no bother, for months and months, then when I insert them into the Crappyfire, that is the end of them, they will no longer work in my crappyfire or my PC. I did read somewhere that widfire may over heat and this can cause the cd card to go bad, if this is a the case, whats the point of external memory if the card is just going to go bad, I have gotten on to my provider and htc, still waiting for answers, must say I am very VERY disappointed in this crappyfire from HTC.
have you tried to solve your problem at all,contacted retailer or htc or are you just happy to whinge, dont like it get rid of it, buy another phone and go and complain on another forum.:mad:

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

So I've had the Wildfire since last July and it's been great. For some reason the other day it stopped recognizing my the 32GB Samsung microSD card I got at Christmas, saying it was ready to be removed. I remove, it says that the card has been removed. I think "well, yeah..." and place it back in. It now says that the card is ready to be removed. I go to the SD card menu in settings and press "mount sd card". Nothing happens.

This happened a few times, so I took it out and put it into an adapter and read it on my computer. I couldn't open the card and computer didn't like it, asking me if I wanted to format it. I sync pretty often, so I shrugged and decided I wouldn't lose much. Windows bailed on formatting, saying it couldn't read the card. I inserted it into the phone again and tried formatting it in there, which didn't happen.

Advice? (Apologies for the length of the explanation)

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

So I've had the Wildfire since last July and it's been great. For some reason the other day it stopped recognizing my the 32GB Samsung microSD card I got at Christmas, saying it was ready to be removed. I remove, it says that the card has been removed. I think "well, yeah..." and place it back in. It now says that the card is ready to be removed. I go to the SD card menu in settings and press "mount sd card". Nothing happens.

This happened a few times, so I took it out and put it into an adapter and read it on my computer. I couldn't open the card and computer didn't like it, asking me if I wanted to format it. I sync pretty often, so I shrugged and decided I wouldn't lose much. Windows bailed on formatting, saying it couldn't read the card. I inserted it into the phone again and tried formatting it in there, which didn't happen.

Advice? (Apologies for the length of the explanation)

Exactly the same thing happened to me. But the SD card is the one supplied with the phone and it worked fine for 3 months before the problem so it can't be the cause of the problem.

Does anyone have a solution?

Upvote 0
i tryed to reformat the card but i gave me a notificaton sayin "external media in unknow state PLEASE HELP!!

Upvote 0
I have experienced similar problems with my Wildfire S and the SD micro card after owning it for just 3 weeks, but I have managed to rectify the 'fault'.
I had swapped the original 2GB card for a reputable brand of 16GB and experienced no problems initially. I also bought a USB adaptor for transferring files to my PC, which worked fine as well. However, today when I replaced the card in my phone after using the adaptor, the "external media in unknown state" notification appeared. Despite unmounting & remounting the card several times and trying to reformat it, the message would not clear.
I removed the card, THEN switched off the phone, removed the battery, replaced the card, replaced the battery, and then switched the phone on. Hey presto, the notification message had disappeared. The 16GB card is now reinstalled and working ok.
Of course, this may be just pure luck, but give it a try and it may just work.

Upvote 0
I have experienced similar problems with my Wildfire S and the SD micro card after owning it for just 3 weeks, but I have managed to rectify the 'fault'.
I had swapped the original 2GB card for a reputable brand of 16GB and experienced no problems initially. I also bought a USB adaptor for transferring files to my PC, which worked fine as well. However, today when I replaced the card in my phone after using the adaptor, the "external media in unknown state" notification appeared. Despite unmounting & remounting the card several times and trying to reformat it, the message would not clear.
I removed the card, THEN switched off the phone, removed the battery, replaced the card, replaced the battery, and then switched the phone on. Hey presto, the notification message had disappeared. The 16GB card is now reinstalled and working ok.
Of course, this may be just pure luck, but give it a try and it may just work.

Finally it worked :D
many thanks to you Madmanmark

Upvote 0
So I'm new here and I have this problem: i bought an htc wildfire s which came with a 2gb card. I bought a new 32gb micro sd card, i copied all the files from my 2gb card to my laptop, then from my laptop to my new card by using an adaptor... Then i put the card in my phone.. It worked fine.. When i tried to put some music by connecting the phone to the laptop, the card stoped working and it couldn't be recognized.. My phone was telling me to insert an sd-card. When i used the adaptor again to copy the music files or put it in an old nokia phone, the card was fine.. Sometimes when the card is in the phone it suddenly stops working and the phone says to insert an sd card even though it is definetely in position... Do you think the card is fake?? Any ideas how i can fix this problem??

Upvote 0
So I'm new here and I have this problem: i bought an htc wildfire s which came with a 2gb card. I bought a new 32gb micro sd card, i copied all the files from my 2gb card to my laptop, then from my laptop to my new card by using an adaptor... Then i put the card in my phone.. It worked fine.. When i tried to put some music by connecting the phone to the laptop, the card stoped working and it couldn't be recognized.. My phone was telling me to insert an sd-card. When i used the adaptor again to copy the music files or put it in an old nokia phone, the card was fine.. Sometimes when the card is in the phone it suddenly stops working and the phone says to insert an sd card even though it is definetely in position... Do you think the card is fake?? Any ideas how i can fix this problem??

First turn of device, remove sd card, blow out the dust in the slot (you might want to suck up the moisture in your mouth to prevent blowing water droplets into it), clean the golden areas on your sd card with a dry cloth not damp/moist, reinsert your sd card and turn on your device.

Im commenting from previous experience to a similar problem, this worked for me when i thought of it.
Is the cable securely held inside your device when you connect it?

Upvote 0
I had the same issues with a 16 Gb and 32 Gb card, T-mobile and HTC were of no use at all. It would appear to be more about the class of the card ie, class 2 or 4 or 6 . the Wildfire appears only to be able to work with class 2 cards due to the data transfer speed

Bought my lovely new Wildfire today, after spending weeks looking forward to it.

I bought a larger micro SD card as well today. It's 8GB but the problem is my phone isn't recognising it at all.
As soon as i put the supplied 2GB one in it recognises and prepares it immediately. With the 8, nothing happens.

Both are Sandisk. Visible differences between the two cards: the 8Gb has a 4 in a circle, has HC in a rectangle below micro SD and has a raised bit of plastic on the back.

Any ideas why my phone doesn't recognise it?
Cheers
Rob

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones