• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help microsd problem - SGS2 won't recognize it. Help!

arkim

Sep 30, 2011
It's an 8gb Class 6 Transcend microsd card. I've used it with my Nokia E71 up until yesterday which is when I purchased the SGS2.

I inserted it in and out of the SGS2 several times, rebooted, but the SGS2 won't recognize the card.

The card works with the Nokia E71 without any issues.

Is there a way to force format the card to the file system that the SGS2 uses or something?

Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

No I do not. It doesn't recognize it at all there.

I can format the card by inserting into the Nokia e71, and plugging that phone into my PC. Then from My computer, I can right click on the card and select "format". I know for sure NTFS is not the right format but I'm not sure between FAT32 and exFat?

Upvote 0
no i do not. It doesn't recognize it at all there.

I can format the card by inserting into the nokia e71, and plugging that phone into my pc. Then from my computer, i can right click on the card and select "format". I know for sure ntfs is not the right format but i'm not sure between fat32 and exfat?

fat32

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0
You shouldn't need to format it before putting in as you can do that with your phone.
Try go to Menu > Setting > Storage.
Under SD card, is Total and Available space show Unavailable?

1. Format the SD card.
It will be grey out if it was mounted. (Unmount it first in order to format)

2. Mount the SD card.
It is either grey out (mean your SD card is not detected)
or it shows 'Unmount SD Card' (if its already Mounted)

After mounted, you should see you Total space listed xx.xx GB and your SD card ready to use.

Upvote 0
He already formatted it into Fat32 using the PC, or Nokia E71. Anyway, just slot the microSD card into the phone. You shouldn't need to mount or unmount. You should be able to see it. Have a look at the Task Manager and look at storage. If it reads the microSD, that should appear there as SDcard.

After that, if you use My Files, the microSD is named as folder external_sd.

Maybe you are just looking at the wrong place.

Cheers

Upvote 0
I'm going to blame it on a faulty card (even though the card worked great in the Nokia E71). I tested another 2GB microSD card and the Unmount/Mount/Format options appear and so does the SD storage feature.

I exhausted all options and no luck.

I will have to purchase a new card, unfortunately. At least it'll be an upgrade from 8GB to 16GB.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones