• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MID X5A Videos play - but with sound only - no picture

Received an MID X5a for christmas, no other obvious manufacturer unless I perhaps unscrew it from the filofax style wallet it is in. System says:Model:MID;Firmware: 2.1-update1;Kernel Version:2.6.29 root@localhost @368; Build number MID 1.0;

I was getting on well with it after an initial reset. Connected to my PC via USB and copied files etc. Video files played fine using Gallery with pic and sound (.mp4, avi and wmv from SD card, youtube fine as well). I even connected it to the TV via hdmi and had excellent simoultaneous play on TV and the tablet.

Then I carry on trying other "normal" things as a learning curve (nothing advanced believe me!!), go back to the video and now yes they play but on the tablet I only have sound - no pic. If I connect to the TV I do have a pic on the TV but stll nothing to see on the tablet.

I have tried all sorts but without success. Different players show exactly the same symptoms. Can anyone offer a suggested solution please to get the pic back on my tablet? Cheers.

OK I have found the solution - it seems that when I changed the setting for display output to "hdmi", I did not change it back afterwards to "None". The reason is that when you look at that option, the "none" value is not displayed - you have to scroll the list first. Do that and select it and my video worked with sound and picture instantly. Whoopee.:):)

Upvote 0
thanks for sharing ur findings, you just saved me; I was having the same problem and searching the forums i found couple solutions that didnt worked (reboot, uninstall twitter app cuz of incompatibility) ; but that didnt work and i knew it was going to since i was sure my issue was related to the hdmi somehow: i bought the cable 3 days ago, used the tablet on a TV and everything worked wellm till hours later when i tried to youtube in the pad itself.

In the case of my tablet, the "output mode" doesnt lists "none" ; but it lists LCD, or HDMI, being LCD the tablet itself, all i needed was to return to it. thx!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones