• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MILESTONE 2.1 update and root guide

Still can't get this to work. I've made it to step 13 numerous times and keep getting this:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I'm pretty sure I have followed every step to the letter. But my reading comprehension could be questionable at times, am I missing something?

These are the files I am using, (excuse my paint skillz) Circled in red is 2.1 flash non-service and yellow is vulnerable recovery.

untitled.jpg

Is this what the files should look like or did I screw something up?

edit: I do rename milestone_root to update_zip after I copy it to SD Card.

Upvote 0
Still can't get this to work. I've made it to step 13 numerous times and keep getting this:

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
Installation aborted.

I'm pretty sure I have followed every step to the letter. But my reading comprehension could be questionable at times, am I missing something?

These are the files I am using, (excuse my paint skillz) Circled in red is 2.1 flash non-service and yellow is vulnerable recovery.

untitled.jpg

Is this what the files should look like or did I screw something up?

edit: I do rename milestone_root to update_zip after I copy it to SD Card.

Sounds like you failed to flash the vr.sbf with RSD Lite... The signature verification failed because you dont have the vulnerability in the phone

Upvote 0
Sounds like you failed to flash the vr.sbf with RSD Lite... The signature verification failed because you dont have the vulnerability in the phone

It says Pass when I flash during the process. So I don't understand why that would be the case. I wonder why this is happening, I'm sure I am following the directions up to this point.

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
craigcrawford1988, i must say thank you for the wonderful guide. Currently I find myself in Beijing and made the error of purchasing a Milestone (XT702); found out the hard way it was all Chinese with no option of changing the language.

Came to my hotel room and stated googling and found this guide, helped me immensely. Now I am up and running on the UK SBF....THANK YOU!

Keep up the good work

Upvote 0
Yes, I rename after I copy it to sd card.
What is your bootloader version? Are you flashing a service or non-service SBF?
My question is what would be the procedure to go back to stock if i wanted to? (ie. when froyo is released for the milestone)
Yes, you could just flash the original SBF and the phone goes back to stock.
im stuck on step 10 i flashed the vulnerable recovery SBF and my phone dosent boot regularly i just stays at the bootloader, how can i copy the update.zip if i cant acsess the sd card cause im stuck on the bootloader. after i flashed it the M logo showed up then it went back to the bloader???
Are you using a non-service SBF?
Hi Craig ,,
My stock software is already 2.1 UK version but i'm not sure if it's the service one or not
so i was woundering if i can start from step number 8

i have been trying to root 2.1 - need to support additional font -

I'm from Australia < maybe this would help i duno mate :D
You could try, many people have had problems flashing when their phone has a service version loaded on it. I would backup first, though.
once you're rooted, can you do the whole apps2SDcard thing?
I'm not sure, never wanted to try it.

Upvote 0
hi thanks for the awsome tutorial.

flashed it with a 2.1 uk sbf . everything was fine except

hardware keyboard buttons got mixed up x , z and the euro sign.
live wallpapers dont respond to touch.

so i flashed the DE, AT, CH .sbf SHOLS_U2_02.34.0and rsd lite gave me a pass result.

everything became back as the phone was on day one when i purchased it except i started experiencing probs with the wifi .

it detects wifi shows a very weak signal and then gives a message obtaining ip address and then it takes a few minutes and then finaly on the wifi status it says unsuccessful.

so i tried the service version and the same result.

is it a error with the sbf or what .

as i had no other choice i falshed the uk 2.1 sbf and the wifi was back and working good.

please tell me what to do .

Upvote 0
Hey everyone,

I just got root on my phone. I had the exact same problem as iscandium but realized that my computer wasn't set to show file names, so when I named the update.zip it was actually named "update.zip.zip" which is why the system couldn't find it.

I retried with 2 files, one named update.zip and one named just update and it worked (the "update") one. I suggest adding this to your known problems, although it's not really a problem. Perhaps others had this issue too.

Cheers and thank you very much for the guide.

Upvote 0
how can i install the default android system for my milestone which i bought from germany. as i tried the DE, AT, CH .sbf 2.1 service and no service version but i am having wifi conectivity probs. it keeps on saying obtaining ip address but then gives me a message unsuccesssful :( .so i am using uk 2.1 sbf at the moment . man really need some help to get back to my default factory update.
this was my orignal update details

firware version 2.1 -update1

firmware configeration version : GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00RTDACH_P019

baseban version : 3GSMEPU91A_U_91.07.4ER

baseband configration version : UCASHLSMR2EMEAB1B8061.0R

Kernel version : 2.6.29-omap1
bmqr67@ca25rhe74#1

builder number : SHOLS_U2_02.34.0

awaitig for your guidance

Upvote 0
Guys, sussed it, might be worth adding to the how-to:

ORIGINAL PROBLEM
Hi All,

Just trying to root my phone. Now, it already has 2.1 installed, so I went straight for the vulnrability thing straight off. This reports a success and so its off to the update.zip.

I get the

Installation aborted.

error. I'm using windows xp, and the boot loaded is 90.74. Anyone got any ideas?

So, to solve this, when the phone starts to reboot after flashing the vulnrability, don't let it load into android. Instead, when it starts the reboot, hold down the up/right button on the D pad to get back into the bootloader.

Then, restart the phone into the recovery mode, apply the update.zip and all should be well.

Its as if reloading the os dumps the files out needed to get past the sig.

If you need any more info on this, let me know.

Upvote 0
HELLO!!!

newb user here!

Two questions:

1. I have a telus milestone on AT&T. Im trying to root it, and i HAVE to do the .sbf flash because of the signed bootloader. Will loading the telus .sbf mess anything up since im on ATT?? Its already unlocked and ive been using it for several weeks now.

2. Telus GPS sever address:

hslp_address = supl.telusmobility.com:7275
default_hslp_address = supl.telusmobility.com:7275

From what I understand, if I could change these lines to something like:

hslp_address = supl.google.com:7276
default_hslp_address = supl.google.com:7276

is this true?? if so... how do i change it? i would like my aGPS to lock faster, instead of taking up to 2 minutes.

-any help is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones