• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MILESTONE 2.1 update and root guide

I live in Indonesia and I just bought motorola milestone. I read all forum to root my own milestone and already download all necessary tools and update my milestone. For your information my milestone built :

Firmware version
2.1-update1
Firmware configuration version
GAS_EMEA_USASHLS00RT1NT_P016
Baseband version
3GSMEPU91A_U_91.07.561
Baseband configuration version
UCASHLSMR2EMEAB1B806D.0R
Kernelversion
2.6.29-omap1
milestcm@il93lnxebld05 #1
Build number
SHOLS_U2_02.36.0

But I still got this problem :

E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package package...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E:signature verified failed
Installation aborted.

any idea to root my milestone or gain superuser access ?

!!!!!HELP!!!!HELP!!!! i rooted before my milestone. and i know the step well. i try many time ..result remain the same. anyone can HELP me to root my milestone again??

Reactions: LinoAirosa
Upvote 0
@ axllllllll:
1) Check to make sure to have "update.zip" in the root of your SD folder (/sdcard). Make sure it is not named "update.zip.zip" or "milestone_update.zip like it is when downloaded.
2) If that doesn't work, try opening the update.zip on your computer. Is there files inside, or another zip? If there is another zip file, extract it and update the 2nd zip file. If there is files inside, extract them and create a new zip file called "update.zip" and see if if will read that.
3) If that fails, use open recovery or GOT's open recovery and try rooting that way. If GOT fails, then the issue is your vulnerable recovery, not the update.zip.
3) If GOT fails, reflash the vulnerable recovery as suggested. If that fails, try flashing a different copy of the vulnerable recovery from another download location. If you get to this step, try using THIS ONE (Mirror). I just uploaded this. It is the one I used on mine and worked flawlessly.

Reactions: axllllllll
Upvote 0
Or if he has forgotten to install the Vulnerable recovery.zip (vr.zip)

Yes I believe so, I was confused by that as well... you flash to the telus one if your telus of course and then do the vun rec sbf and then the update.zip works fine... this is how you clean slate it as well... dir's on sd card will still be there if you choose the right telus sbf ;)

Upvote 0
thanks Eggos...but i still cant make it. anyone success root after Milestone July Update can share opinion to help??
@ axllllllll:
1) Check to make sure to have "update.zip" in the root of your SD folder (/sdcard). Make sure it is not named "update.zip.zip" or "milestone_update.zip like it is when downloaded.
2) If that doesn't work, try opening the update.zip on your computer. Is there files inside, or another zip? If there is another zip file, extract it and update the 2nd zip file. If there is files inside, extract them and create a new zip file called "update.zip" and see if if will read that.
3) If that fails, use open recovery or GOT's open recovery and try rooting that way. If GOT fails, then the issue is your vulnerable recovery, not the update.zip.
3) If GOT fails, reflash the vulnerable recovery as suggested. If that fails, try flashing a different copy of the vulnerable recovery from another download location. If you get to this step, try using THIS ONE (Mirror). I just uploaded this. It is the one I used on mine and worked flawlessly.

Upvote 0
Iv'e been through this Thread about three times and tried many different suggestions... even the G.O.T. one. This is my second day of trying. My phone is from Hong Kong. I just keep getting the ' E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command ' and the 'E:signature verification failed, Installation aborted.' As you can tell, I'm very frustrated like many others.
:thinking:

Reactions: LinoAirosa
Upvote 0
I'm having the same problems as many here.
RSD completed - PASS.
Update.zip file on the roof of the SDcard and trying to flash it only to get the verification signature failure message.

I read a lot of guys having the same issue and random results.
Any ideas?

Appreciate it!

GAS-EMEA_USASHLS00RTINT_P016
3GSMEPU91A_U_91.07.561
UCASHLSMR2EMEAB1B806D.0R
KERNEL 2.6.29-OMAP1MILESTCM@IL93INXEBLD05#1
SHOLS_U2_02.36.0

Upvote 0
Iv'e been through this Thread about three times and tried many different suggestions... even the G.O.T. one. This is my second day of trying. My phone is from Hong Kong. I just keep getting the ' E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command ' and the 'E:signature verification failed, Installation aborted.' As you can tell, I'm very frustrated like many others.

Same here Jaxxon. I'm in Macau. HK Milestone.

Upvote 0
Intro
Here is my 2.1 update and root guide. Firstly I would like to thank the community for these files used in this guide, without them we would not have root.

I have tried this process on my UK MILESTONE using the following:
  • UK MILESTONE.
  • 2.1 UK SBF (non-service).
  • 90.73 bootloader.

I cannot guarantee you will have the same success as me if you try a different bootloader version or SBF country/version.

Before you start, a few points to make:
  • I am not responsible if your phone becomes bricked from this. It worked perfectly for me without a single hitch but for you it could be different.
  • Flashing a non-service SBF will WIPE the phone, so you will start from a blank slate.
  • If you don't know what root is, then read up on it first. It may not be for you. Chances are if you are happy with your phone and you don't find it lacking, then you don't need root.
  • Please read the WHOLE guide before starting, if you find yourself confused, then do NOT start. Ask first - you may break your phone.
  • It is recommended you do this on a computer that isn't going to crash or power down mid-update. A laptop plugged in with a good battery is recommended.

Prerequisites

Procedure
So, if you've got this far and have decided to take the plunge and downloaded all the prerequisites, then you're ready to get started!

Follow these steps carefully and you'll have your MILESTONE with rooted 2.1!
  1. Charge your phone battery up FULL. While your phone is charging, install the USB drivers and RSD Lite.
  2. When the phone has finished charging, shut it down and unplug the USB cable from the phone.
  3. Load the phone up into bootloader mode by holding the UP direction button on the D-PAD of the phone (up as in towards the screen) and pressing the power button until you see the screen light up.
  4. You should be presented with the following text:
    Code:
    Bootloader
    <version number>

Battery OK
    OK to Program
    Connect USB
    Data Cable
  5. Connect your USB cable to the phone and the last two lines should change to:
    Code:
    Transfer Mode:
    USB
  6. Now you can load up RSD Lite using the icon on your desktop. Follow the steps in this image, selecting the 2.1 SBF you wish to flash (not the vulnerable recovery, that is later).
    rsdlite.png
  7. Wait for RSD Lite to finish (The Status column will read Finished and the Result column should read PASS).
    If you get anything else or it seems to be taking forever, please ask here and do not interrupt the program or phone.
  8. When your phone boots up and asks you to set it up, shut it down and repeat step 3 of this guide.
  9. Once into the bootloader again, you can flash the vulnerable recovery SBF. Repeat step 6, but this time select the vulnerable recovery SBF and not the 2.1 SBF. This update should take a few seconds/minutes, and the phone will start back up once this is done with RSD Lite reading a Finished and PASS result in their respective columns.
    Again, if you experience problems as outlined in step 7, don't interrupt the phone/program. Ask in this thread.
  10. In Windows explorer, navigate to the SD card of the phone and copy the milestone_root.zip file over and rename it to update.zip.
  11. Once that has copied, shut the phone down once more and put it into recovery mode (not bootloader).
    To get into recovery mode:
    • For bootloader 90.78: X button on keypad
    • For bootloader lower than 90.78: Camera button on side of phone
    Hold the respective button as detailed above and the power button together. When the Motorola logo appears, release the power button but keep hold of the X/Camera button until this icon appears:
    recovery.jpg
  12. Phew! If you made it this far then congrats, you nearly have root!
    Now hold the Volume Up button and press the Camera button to bring up the command menu.
  13. Select from the menu using the D-PAD and choose apply sdcard:update.zip. If all is well it should start saying Rooting your phone..., once it is complete the command menu will re-appear. Simply choose reboot system now.
  14. Once the phone has started back up again, go through the initial setup (or skip it) and you should have a new app called Superuser Whitelist.
    Whenever an app requests root access you will get a prompt screen like this:
    device.png

End
If you made it fully through this guide then you should now be able to download apps such as Root Explorer and be able to mount the various directories as r/w and be able to start going deeper into modding your phone.

One of the best bits of this is being able to uninstall the CRAPPY apps that come with the phone and clog up memory such as Facebook or Sim Toolkit (these are deleted from /system/app), you can find out more about modding with root by other various guides.

Just as a final note: I recommend turning off OTA updates as they wont work for a rooted phone, you'll need to use RSD Lite from the future (unless you unroot).

Well I hope you find this guide useful! Took me long enough to write it :D

Known Issues
  • Sometimes, even when you have done everything right in RSD Lite - the start button remains greyed out. You must launch it by command line on such occasions:
    Download this batch file, copy it and the SBFs you wish to flash into the RSD Lite folder and then drag and drop the SBFs you wish to flash onto it.
  • Sometimes RSD Lite is unable to restart the phone as it needs (RSD Lite will read: Please manually power up this phone). If this happens you must manually assist the phone in flashing. Thanks to tazd for reporting this issue and finding the workaround.
    1. Disconnect the USB cable and shut the phone down.
    2. Start the phone up in bootloader mode.
    3. Reconnect the USB cable. RSD Lite should continue now.
hallo new be here....

it's work on milestone xt 720 i'd try but had error on RSD lite sow on my phne error 0047..
i'm using .sfb with service.
my bootloader 80.89

please help me....

best regards

Upvote 0
Now I'm on my third day of trying. I've lost count of how many times I have retraced your steps. I'm working on a XP machine so I tried doing the whole process from a Vista machine also. The RSD Lite program works OK. I even tried it with a new SD card... but still get the ' E:signature verification failed, Installation aborted.' As you can tell, I'm very very frustrated. (but not giving up) I'm just hoping someone will come up with a solution for me.

Upvote 0
So I finally rooted my Telus milestone (2.1 update1), following your guide step by step (canadian SBF non service version) worked great thank you :)

However I don't know if I missed something, or it is normal, but I lost all my settings and my apps, had to reconfigure 6 months on my phone :(

That is what happens yes. I believe i saw someone mentioning here that we need a settings/apps settings back up.. not sure what the outcome was though... :S

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum.
I have a telus milestone.
A couple days ago, I wanted to get out the sim card while the battery was charging wth the phone on.
I shut off the phone, unplug USB then I took out the battery and sim card.
Once I restart the phone, it entered the bootloader automatically.

It shows the following:

Code Corrupt

Battery OK
OK to program
Connect USB
Data Cable

I was trying to follow the guilde to see if I can get the phone back to function. However, RSD doesn't show "Finished" and "PASS" like the post did and simply say "connected".

I am wondering if anyone can help me out.
Highly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum.
I have a telus milestone.
A couple days ago, I wanted to get out the sum card while the battery was charging wth the phone on.
I shut off the phone, unplug USB then I took out the battery and sim card.
Once I restart the phone, it entered the bootloader automatically.

It shows the following:

Code Corrupt

Battery OK
OK to program
Connect USB
Data Cable

I was trying to follow the guilde to see if I can get the phone back to function. However, RSD doesn't show "Finished" and "PASS" like the post did and simply say "connected".

I am wonder if anyone can help me out.
Highly appreciated.

Ya this was a confusing part for me as well some people say leave it some people say reboot it... it does get pass that part although I never seen the "code corrupt" part so I cant help you there :(

Upvote 0
Before I applied the latest update.zip from Motorola, I had no problem for rooting my milestone by using the above method and executed the apps2sd. However, once I have applied the latest update.zip, the above method is not working at all. The build number is SHOL2_U2_02.36.0. Look like I need a new vulunerable recovery file. Please help!!!

Upvote 0
Well, I'm up to day five now of trying. TwinDragons was kind of enough to try and help the other day. He had some good suggestions but they all did not work on my phone. A friend thought that maybe because it is a Hong Kong phone that I needed a Chinese Recovery SBF file version. I tried that along with a Update.zip from a Chinese web site ... that didn't work either but I noticed that the Boot Screen is showing different info now ... E: Can't mountSDCARD:update.zip, Installation aborted.

Maybe that's a good sign... am I getting closer to solving this puzzle? :thinking:

Upvote 0
I am in Hong Kong and had no problem for rooting my milestone before the latest update. The bootloader version is still the same 90.78 and is successful to flash the vulerable recovery sbf, but no luck to apply the update.zip for rooting.

jsxxon, the message you got seems that your sd card is not installed properly.

Upvote 0
I am in Hong Kong and had no problem for rooting my milestone before the latest update. The bootloader version is still the same 90.78 and is successful to flash the vulerable recovery sbf, but no luck to apply the update.zip for rooting.

jsxxon, the message you got seems that your sd card is not installed properly.

I haven't touched the card. How do you mean not installed properly? What should I do?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones