• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Milestone not as fast as E71

fekish

Feb 8, 2010
Hello,

i had an E71 before... What i miss is how fast it was in entering sms program or dialing for someone...

On Milestone:
i hit contact - then blank screen for a sec or two - and then loads contacts. If i try it again now, of course it goes immediately in because i suppose the programs are still open. However always at the first time i use contacts or dialler after some time, there is this lag.

Do you have also this lag at sometimes?

You don't need to open contacts to dial ... just start typing the contacts name or part of the name and the phone will find it for you quicker than you open the contacts and select it from the list.

I find my Milestone waaay faster than my previous e71. The only thing I think is a bit of an obstacle is that if I want to use the instant type to search I have to open the keyboard - on the e71 I could just start typing straight away but on the Milestone I need to open the keyboard first and then type ... I could press the search button in the lower right corner of the device and then start typing on the virtual keyboard but I'm still very clumsy with the virtual keyboard and prefer the hard keys.

Upvote 0
Even with the search button, it takes 1-2 seconds to open the search box...

With E71 i was impressed in that as soon as i unlocked it there was no lag at all until i find the contact i wanted... Everything was smooth on this aspect compared to Milestone.

These are two completely different phones. E71 is a simple device. A phone with some extra capabilities of installing apps and not too complicated OS.

Milestone is a PDA with phone functionality. It has a big scree which requires a lot of CPU to drive and lots of apps running in the background.

Upvote 0
The apps you use all the time always stay in your memory. Android has a very nice and efficient way of managing memory. To roughly explain it - each app you open and then close stays in the memory for a certain time period, if you don't relaunch that app it will get swapped by another app that needs free memory. That's how I understand memory management on the Android system.

As I've said, my Milestone is "miles" faster than my e71.

Upvote 0
It would be good if someone developed an app that let you pre-load certain applications so they were able to load instantly. I am not sure how that would mess up Android's own app/memory management - but having a camera app that was preloaded, thus only needing to activate the sensor when 'selected', would allow very quick picture taking.

Ditto with things like the phonebook, call log, messaging etc.

An inactive app should not consume power unnecessarily either.

Food for thought for any developers reading this!

Upvote 0
the issue is with Helix launcher.... If i dont use it too much time, when i hit hoe button takes some time to load it...

I think i will install again a task manager... 3 days without one, starts to be frustrating. There should have been a way to chose which apps shouldnt be killed...

Upvote 0
the issue is with Helix launcher.... If i dont use it too much time, when i hit hoe button takes some time to load it...

I think i will install again a task manager... 3 days without one, starts to be frustrating. There should have been a way to chose which apps shouldnt be killed...

Try Advanced Task Manager and it has an Exclude list.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones