• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

milestone on the 3g US

Just buy it from a place that has a "Refund" policy. Again, I can manually set my Motorla Q to "850 3G/1900 3G only, and I get 3G data speeds.
While you can do that thats great but frequency band support is NOT a software thing. I don't understand why you guys don't get this, if the phone supports the band it WILL work provided the phone is unlocked and you have the APN settings, if it doesnt support the band there is no "manually setting the band". Also theres a difference between "3G speeds" and being "connected to the 3G network", technically speaking when I'm on 1xRTT or EDGE I'm getting "3G speeds".

thats what i was looking at, the german one has 4 bands vs only 2 on the canadian version, i just want to be sure its going to work on att 3g, i dont want to buy a phone and then have to sell it for being "useless"
There are two Milestone's
EURO VERSION
GSM 850/900/1800/1900 with UMTS 900/2100

NORTH AMERICAN VERSION
GSM 850/900/1800/1900 with UMTS 850/1900(possibly a third 2100 band for European use but I doubt it).

Understand the terminology and what your buying and you won't be "confused" or have a "useless" phone.

Ive been asking to some sellers on ebay if it'll work on att 3g network and they have told me "no", Im getting more confused :thinking:
I doubt a seller on Ebay is going to know too much about the tec behind it, most likely he is out to make a buck or two. Again Ill spell it out, if the phone supports the frequency bands it will work provided it is unlocked and you have the right APN settings I'm 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% sure of this because it shouldn't be any different or "special" with this GSM/UMTS handset. Really

Upvote 0
While you can do that thats great but frequency band support is NOT a software thing. I don't understand why you guys don't get this, if the phone supports the band it WILL work provided the phone is unlocked and you have the APN settings, if it doesnt support the band there is no "manually setting the band". Also theres a difference between "3G speeds" and being "connected to the 3G network", technically speaking when I'm on 1xRTT or EDGE I'm getting "3G speeds".

I never said 3G support was a "software thing". I stated that I use software to "switch" to the AT&T bands, be it GSM, or 3G. 3G works because its an AT&T branded phone with 3G support. I have a Motorola v365 also, that connects to 850/1900, but I'm only able to connect via "Edge". Hence my suggestion for the guy to buy it from a place that has a return policy.

But given that the Canadian version has 850/1900, AND says it supports 3G (per the Motorola.ca site), then it should support 3G on AT&T. But again, if not, send it back.

Upvote 0
No you don't have to wait tell some conferms it GSM phones are designed to work on any network provIded the bands are correct. I do not understand how you guys try abd make this more complex then needed. If the phone supports 850/1900mhz UMTS it WILL work on att end of discusion as long as you have the correct settings and its not sim locked. If you read up on cellular technology you don't have to worry.

I just picked up an ASIAN market(China, not sure if it's Hong Kong or China or if it makes a difference, but, it's all in North American english) and it's supposed to be 4bands. I do NOT get 3G on the Fido network in Canada. And, whereas I am receiving email and can go to google on the internet most internet browsing doesn't work. I don't think I'm getting even 2g or edge. Can't even check my speed it's so slow. Can't return the phone as the seller wants to charge me a 25% restocking fee (sucks to be me) so just going to have to suck it up and keep going to wifi spots.

Upvote 0
I just picked up an ASIAN market(China, not sure if it's Hong Kong or China or if it makes a difference, but, it's all in North American english) and it's supposed to be 4bands. I do NOT get 3G on the Fido network in Canada. And, whereas I am receiving email and can go to google on the internet most internet browsing doesn't work. I don't think I'm getting even 2g or edge. Can't even check my speed it's so slow. Can't return the phone as the seller wants to charge me a 25% restocking fee (sucks to be me) so just going to have to suck it up and keep going to wifi spots.

all the milestones have quad band GSM.....your most likely getting (E)GPRS. Look I've explained this pretty clear and you either didn't read a thing I've said in this thread or are borderline dull..

Upvote 0
Obiviously, somebody has issues from childhood and can't seem to get past his low self-esteem issues.

From the previous posts and according to Motorola's CA website (GSM w/HSDPA, GSM 850/1900, HSUPA, GPRS Class 12, WiFi) that looks like 2 bands not 4. 2 does not mean quad. At least not on this planet of borderline dull inhabitants that don't read anything.

Upvote 0
Obiviously, somebody has issues from childhood and can't seem to get past his low self-esteem issues.

From the previous posts and according to Motorola's CA website (GSM w/HSDPA, GSM 850/1900, HSUPA, GPRS Class 12, WiFi) that looks like 2 bands not 4. 2 does not mean quad. At least not on this planet of borderline dull inhabitants that don't read anything.

The "Canadian" version is the "2nd/3rd" version of the Milestone, and was not available at the time of the posts.

Upvote 0
The "Canadian" version is the "2nd/3rd" version of the Milestone, and was not available at the time of the posts.

He posted "all the milestones have quad band GSM" 30 mins ago.

The "Canadian" version info was available 30 mins ago. I guess he didn't do all his reading.

Going through w/ Fido tech support (wrong name for a dept if ever there was one) came to the conclusion that I may have a bad phone. Just got done with Motorola and they told me to send it back to them. We'll see how the replacement goes.

No hard feelings, Nateo?

Upvote 0
He posted "all the milestones have quad band GSM" 30 mins ago.

The "Canadian" version info was available 30 mins ago. I guess he didn't do all his reading.
?

Fair enough, but if you "just picked up" a Milestone, its most likely not the "Canadian version" no? Especially if your stating that its "Asian". China has a fairly large cell network, which is supposed to support the Sholes, and is not unlike Verizon's CDMA, if not slightly removed. I doubt that any dual-band Canadian version would have made it that far east yet.

Upvote 0
The Canadian Milestone hasn't been released yet. Telus doesn't know when, they just say "soon".

Maybe I could have been clearer in stating that I picked up a Milestone that had come out of Asia and that I am using it in Canada. I'm guessing it came out of Hong Kong as it has english letters/ing, not Asian characters.

Today, I noticed a G pop up where there has been the E denoting "Edge" (?). I'm assuming that the G is for 3G but the speed was EXTREMELY slow and it was intermittant. I'll let you know if it stays on for any length of time and how my speed goes.

Upvote 0
The Canadian Milestone hasn't been released yet. Telus doesn't know when, they just say "soon".

Maybe I could have been clearer in stating that I picked up a Milestone that had come out of Asia and that I am using it in Canada. I'm guessing it came out of Hong Kong as it has english letters/ing, not Asian characters.

Today, I noticed a G pop up where there has been the E denoting "Edge" (?). I'm assuming that the G is for 3G but the speed was EXTREMELY slow and it was intermittant. I'll let you know if it stays on for any length of time and how my speed goes.

G stands for GPRS. GPRS is REAALLYY slow. I still think you bought a euro phone with 2100 and 900 umts though. If that's the case then chances of getting 3G are slim.

Upvote 0
G stands for GPRS. GPRS is REAALLYY slow. I still think you bought a euro phone with 2100 and 900 umts though. If that's the case then chances of getting 3G are slim.

In a way you're right. Since this is a phone out of Asia, it's running on the same frequency as the euro's. So, the Asian and Euro Milestones are the same. Jeez, all that back and forth to come to an agreement that were saying the same thing.

There is 2100 in Canada, but not sure who.

Upvote 0
Hey just got a motorola milestone and wondering is my milestone running on 3g on the AT&T network because it seems like it. Its going about the same speed as my iphone 3gs was.

I got the model A853 and it shows the bands as UMTS 2100 +GSM EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 + HSDPA

Is it true that AT&T 3g runs on the 850 frequency?

Upvote 0
Hey just got a motorola milestone and wondering is my milestone running on 3g on the AT&T network because it seems like it. Its going about the same speed as my iphone 3gs was.

I got the model A853 and it shows the bands as UMTS 2100 +GSM EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 + HSDPA

Is it true that AT&T 3g runs on the 850 frequency?

The big "3G" symbol in the status bar (or lack thereof), when connected to the internet, "might" be an indication:

motorola-droid-front-iphone-killer.jpg

Upvote 0
i had this device for 2 days picked it up from amazon...... unlocked... all edge everywere and android thinks an unlocked device is a hack of some kind so they only give you access to half of the marketplaces apps and the device has extreme connection issues being because its not on its native networks.... and on the unlocked version theres no voice navigation .......... unlocked milestone is nothing but a crappier mt3g... dont buy...

Upvote 0
if you want voice navigation = go download a hacked version (go google it)
if you want the full market place = go root your phone and get market enabler
connection issues? = edge might be slower..but there shouldnt be any 'issues' perhaps you are killing off some vital processes with soem sort of task manager app

Upvote 0
i had this device for 2 days picked it up from amazon...... unlocked... all edge everywere and android thinks an unlocked device is a hack of some kind so they only give you access to half of the marketplaces apps and the device has extreme connection issues being because its not on its native networks.... and on the unlocked version theres no voice navigation .......... unlocked milestone is nothing but a crappier mt3g... dont buy...

All of this info has long been available on both this forum, and various other sites on the internet.

Upvote 0
Asian and Europian is quad band for voice but does not have the appropriate 3G band for data in Canada. Will work on Edge and G (not 3G) on Rogers/Fido. I personally don't find the iphone 3GS in 3G mode much faster than the Asian milestone in Canada. Unless you do all your internet surfing on the phone it won't make a huge difference. It makes no difference for emails. Youtube video access is only a few seconds slower.

Love the phone. Will be better with more availability of apps. I changed from a winmo phone - too many problems with crashes. Iphone is great but not open. Even the battery is not easily accessable in the iphone.

The Canadian milestone is apperantly only GSM 850/1900 as was mentioned in the post by Tovarish. This is confirmed on the canadian motorola website. The canadian version will also be Telus specific.

I would much rather have a quad band factory unlocked non branded milestone with slightly slower web access than the canadian version.

Upvote 0
...The Canadian milestone is apperantly only GSM 850/1900 as was mentioned in the post by Tovarish. This is confirmed on the canadian motorola website. The canadian version will also be Telus specific.....

Milestone Android - Social Networking Phone - Motorola Canada

:thinking:

Are you sure about that? You may want to check again as 850/1900 are the same bands used by AT&T in the US, and the Milestone "Canada" site lists not only HSDPA as a connectiviy feature, but also "3G talk times" under its battery capability.

Upvote 0
Milestone Android - Social Networking Phone - Motorola Canada

:thinking:

Are you sure about that? You may want to check again as 850/1900 are the same bands used by AT&T in the US, and the Milestone "Canada" site lists not only HSDPA as a connectiviy feature, but also "3G talk times" under its battery capability.

No one can ever be sure until the company finally comes out with the progduct but all I can do is quote the motorola.ca website under tech specs (I have cut and paste exactly what they have listed):

<LI class=sub>NETWORKS3
GSM w/HSDPA, GSM 850/1900, HSUPA, GPRS Class 12, WiFi
The 3G in Telus/Rogers Canada (probably ATT US as well) operates at 850/1900 unlike the 900/2100 in Asia. The asian motorola website specifically says:
3G

WCDMA 900/ 2100 MHz, GSM 850/ 900/ 1800/ 1900 MHz

So the answer in the motorola website is:
Canadian: 850/1900 (thats not quad band) with 3G in North America
Asian/Europian: 850/900/1800/1900 with no 3G with Rogers and Telus (probably ATT US). I have the Asian and do not get 3G.

The other problem will of course be that the Canadian phone will be locked to Telus.

If you stay within North America then having quad band is not an issue. I do use the phones outside North America and like the ability to change SIM's as I travel. I also prefer factory unlocked phones as opposed to soft unlocked or someone else hard unlocking them. I have had issues in the past with these methods where a phone company will not unlock as the phone is only meant for a single phone company.

I don't use the phone for surfing enough to make a huge difference with the lack of 3G. At home you could always connect using wifi and that will be faster than the 3G.

Upvote 0
No one can ever be sure until the company finally comes out with the progduct but all I can do is quote the motorola.ca website under tech specs (I have cut and paste exactly what they have listed):

<LI class=sub>NETWORKS3
GSM w/HSDPA, GSM 850/1900, HSUPA, GPRS Class 12, WiFi
The 3G in Telus/Rogers Canada (probably ATT US as well) operates at 850/1900 unlike the 900/2100 in Asia. The asian motorola website specifically says:
3G

WCDMA 900/ 2100 MHz, GSM 850/ 900/ 1800/ 1900 MHz

So the answer in the motorola website is:
Canadian: 850/1900 (thats not quad band) with 3G in North America
Asian/Europian: 850/900/1800/1900 with no 3G with Rogers and Telus (probably ATT US). I have the Asian and do not get 3G.

The other problem will of course be that the Canadian phone will be locked to Telus.

But the problem is that the posters "mis-quote/mis-understand" what is being presented on the site.

As far as "unlocking" a carrier branded phone, if the physical device supports another carrier's bands, getting the "unlock code" should suffice in having it work on the 2nd carrier. Whether it will support 3G on the other carrier is another issue altogether. A phone which supports 3G on multiple US carriers is very rare.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones