• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Milestone X Root same as Droid X? ACS Alaska 2.2.2

Hello, I have upgraded from the "milestone" to the "milestone X" and have several questions that I have searched for answers, and get a little bite here or there, then see that the thread I am reading gets marked as outdated, and etc.

It doesnt help so many peeps post off topic related stuff, etc, makes it difficult to decipher the real info.

Thanks to the mods for cleaning up what they can.

1) Is the Droid X the same phone? I get that story, cant find a solid search result.

2) The phone has a laggy sceen. Its laggy like my HTC HERO was. It pisses me off. My old Milestone, 2.1 wasnt laggy at all. Is there a known issue? I keep seeing these OCLF threads.... for other phones.

3) I have followed to a T, installed, er "ported" via PC the z4root version 1.3.0 from RyanZA's thread on XDA to my sdcard, then installation of the app, took a long time, but seemed to work. I now have the z4app. It opens up, and then I click permanent root, it goes till it says it is obtaining shell access then it force closes. Until I can reboot, The phone freezes up here and there, and just generally acts like its going to crash.
I tried running the app, now six times, with a "battery pull" in between attempts. No luck. Force Close every time. If I try to reopen the app, it just gets glitchy, and all my home screens go blank of widgets etc. After the reboot/batt pull its back to 'glitchy' normal.

I would like to ROOT for the use of ROOT required apps, removal of bloatware, and general tweeks. I dont know that I ever want to change ROM's but I might want to update to GB.

Please HELP, getting ROOT. Of course I would rather do a one click, but dont mind the work, if its the RIGHT way to do it, and make it stick.

Anyone...?

Carrier: Alaska Communication Systems (a.k.a - ACS)
(They sell several verizon phones, and use CDMA)
Model: Milestone X
System Version: 3.2.6.MB809.ACGen.US
Android Version: 2.2.2
Baseband Version: BP_C_02.06.00R
Kernel Version:2.6.32.9-ge37fac8qgd748@il93lnxdroid09 #2
Build Number: RETAIL
ERI Version: 1357
PRL Version: 168

Kernel looks the same... I'm running Miui so I can't check out the rest for you. I've also heard that the Milestone X is the same as the Droid X, with only a small amount of differences. It is safe to say that the Droid3 root method will work for you. Z4 will not work for you considering it looks like you are running Gingerbread OS.

Download the 1 click root here - Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Follow the "ROOTING" part of my tutorial found here : http://androidforums.com/droid-x-al...ad-602-sbf-root-process-updated-9-9-11-a.html

Just don't use the drivers I have in the tutorial, probably won't work. Just try it without the drivers first... if it doesn't work... google drivers for your phone. Just try and see and then report back to us.

Reactions: HardcoreAK
Upvote 0
Wow, okay, now im lost, I was under the belief that 2.2.2 was still froyo....?! Everytime I googled 2.2.2 I got froyo information...

Thanks for the links. Im browsing from phone, is this a 'port - root' ? For gingerbread? Or a ota?

In alaska we get held back from ota updates, they want u to buy the new phone, renew your contract, etc. esp.guy like me who still had unlimited data until last month when I got this droidx.
(My old htc hero would tether in stock form,) dang I miss that.

so that also supported my thinking I had froyo, because I thought gb was 2.3...?

Upvote 0
Okay, I got a hunch, so Im doing a Factory Reset, this morning, then gotta get some sleep, then try the z4 install all over again, with no apps loaded. Ill post the results. If z4root fails, then I will try the Droid 3 method I guess...thx

I did the factory reset, several times, and then tried the z4root app again, didnt get past step two, "acquiring shell" and then force close.

SO I went and followed the link, from the above post, downloaded the Petes Motorola Root Tools files, extracted them to my desktop folder named "root" opened the PMRT file, clicked the mouse on "root my phone" and whiz bang, I got root. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im interested to see how the phone works with the bloat removed, so thats my project next few days, remove bloat, get a good backup, then maybe I will try the GB update, SBF deal. We shall see. Im interested to try some real hacking,,,haha:cool:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones