• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root minimalist ROMs

cherubashe

Jul 15, 2011
CT
I am running [ROM] barnaclesMod [Sense-OTA][6.16.11] and love the lack of all the other stuff. But I see everybody talking about all these settings for setcpu and I dont have them. Apparently because i am running stock kernel.

If someone is running this could you please tell me good settings for setcpu. Or another ROM altogether, that is similar.

I see this ROM
[ ROM / 7-4 ] Calkulin's EViO 3 v1.0 [ 4.24 l Gingerbread l Undervolted l Tweaked ] is it any good.

Just want quick phone for the few things i do. Some games, little bit of browsing, texting. and the battery to last awhile. using 3500 extended.

I am running [ROM] barnaclesMod [Sense-OTA][6.16.11] and love the lack of all the other stuff. But I see everybody talking about all these settings for setcpu and I dont have them. Apparently because i am running stock kernel.

If someone is running this could you please tell me good settings for setcpu. Or another ROM altogether, that is similar.

I see this ROM
[ ROM / 7-4 ] Calkulin's EViO 3 v1.0 [ 4.24 l Gingerbread l Undervolted l Tweaked ] is it any good.

Just want quick phone for the few things i do. Some games, little bit of browsing, texting. and the battery to last awhile. using 3500 extended.
you need to start trying out kernels. setcpu will not let you do much unless you have a custom kernel. there are currently three, chop suey 9.1(trying it out now), freedom .85, and golden monkey 1.1. you can get them in the roms/kernel sticky. and you can read more about kernels here: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/389360-kernels-dummies.html. also at the bottom is a link to the setcpu guide as well.

edit: also what works for me may not work for you so try them out. they are all great kernels.

Upvote 0

I see this ROM

i tried Calkulin's Evio....its pretty fast and stable with just the stock kernel....i was running it off the stock and got excellent battery life...with a different kernel, you may even get better battery life....but like ocn says...what works great on my phone, may not work so great on yours....you just gotta flash roms, and kernels and find the combination you like...for what you wanna do with it, it sounds like you might be better off running an AOSP rom

Upvote 0
Have tried a bunch of different ROMS and kernels. So what is the difference between this and an AOSP

AOSP is a vanilla rom....they are pretty basic...none of the sense 2.1, 3.0 stuff.....you put what you wanna put on it....they are small compared to a say sense 3.0 rom....say like cm7 could be 85Mb vs a sense 3.0 rom being anywhere from 250Mb to 300Mb+......more internal storage availale, more running free ram available...but if your used to running sense 2.1 or sense 3.0 then AOSP is gonna be kind of wierd to you...you just gotta mess around with it and get the hang of how it runs...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones