• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MMS won't download on wifi

I reventre got this phone, and love it so far. The only issue I'm having, is not being able to download mms messages on wifi. I have to have my data on in order to download. Is there a setting I overlooked or something? My previous phone is from 2013 or 14 and that phone was able to download mms messages on wifi. How is that really old phone able to do something this brand new one can't? I have the same carrier and plan, so nothing has changed except the phone. Anyone know why this is?

Some phones can natively do MMS over WiFi, others can't. The carrier must also support it, not all do.

Up until recently you could install another texting app that supported MMS over WiFi, but requirements from Google removed that feature for recently updated apps.

One way to enable MMS over WiFi, if your carrier supports it, is to install an older version of Textra - 3.5. This version of the app was made before the new requirements from Google were in effect.

Textra version 3.5:
https://textra.uservoice.com/knowle...otification-icon-colors-gone-mms-over-wifi-mm

You'll have to use the Install From Unknown Sources option. In Textra settings under MMS enable Prefer WiFi, you might also have to switch between System and Legacy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones