• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Mod: Fixed (shortened) touchkey backlights

s44

Android Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2010
The one thing I've hated about DJ05, DL09, and now our Froyo releases is that the timeouts on the capacitive touchkey backlights have gotten longer and longer. In DI01 it was a couple of seconds, in DJ05 it was the length of your screen timeout, and by EB01 and beyond it's now the length of your screen timeout AND reset every time you touch *anything*.

Well, I've finally gotten around to figuring out where the change was (setScreenOffTimeoutsLocked() in PowerManagerService.smali in services.jar) and modding it back. Now, as in DI01, the keys will only light up for a few seconds after you press one. I haven't reverted the recent change of regular screen touches resetting this time after the touchkeys have gone on, though: since the baseline is very short, this isn't a big issue.

Note that the version of services.jar on which this is based is from Super Clean 2.9.2. However, a diff seems to show that the only difference between adrynalyne's services.jar and the stock EB01 is the inclusion, in the former, of the battery notification/data throttling removal mods. So it *should* work with any EB01-based framework, though I've only tested on the self-customized SC292 I'm running.

The mod does *not* interfere with BLN.

UPDATE: now also attached are two fixed Edify-script versions for ED01.

Evil Fascination/stock ED01 folks should use shortlight-evil341, which basically just includes the light fix and the sbrissen mods. Community ROM folks should use shortlight-community12, which has a couple of other options unique to that framework.

The new files include a permissions fix, so just install the zip and reboot. (Those installing the original fixedlights.zip file -- SC292/EB01 and Amend only -- still need to manually mount /data and /dbdata and run the fix permissions script in CWM 2.5 after installation.) First boot will take a while.

Attachments

• fixedlights.zip
    709.2 KB · Views: 84
  • shortlight-evil341.zip
    863.6 KB · Views: 56
  • shortlight-community12.zip
    864.4 KB · Views: 63

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones