• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moment Sprint Skype VoIP ??

CybeRolf

Lurker
Dec 28, 2009
I am looking for true VoIP on my Moment. I am a Sprint customer, but I don't get coverage at our lake house. I do have a wireless network, GoogleVoice, and a Skype account. I have the Skype app on the phone, but like GV, when I try to place a call, they both call a land line, then try to call my phone to make a connection. Duh! If I had a signal, I wouldn't need to use VoIP! If I use Skype on my computer, I can call; why not the same fuctionality with the app and a wifi connection? I don't want an SIP account, jsut more money sitting somewhere. I would use GV and give them money if I had true VoIP, that is, use my phone to make calls over wifi when I don't have a Sprint signal. Am I missing something? Did I miss the definitive thread on this?
I know I can buy a Sprint extender for $100, but VoIP calls could be free. :thinking:

I've been trying to do this same thing for quite a while. It's easy and complicated all at the same time. There's an app that's called sipdroid that allows you to do this. You then need a voip service. Google Voice isn't a voip service it's only a call forwarding system. Skype will probably work. I've tried to get it to work with Sipgate and was successful (somewhat). Long story short there's a problem with the all moments and getting the ear piece to work with the sipdroid app. I'm hoping that with 2.1 this problem will be solved, but until now you can use this with other android phones just not the moment. There are many reported issues on the sipdroid website for the moments, but I have no idea if there is a large enough group for them to be working on this or not.

I like this feature a lot because almost anywhere you go now you can find a wifi hotspot and this can turn out phone into an international phone relatively easily.

Here's some good links to check out to read up more.

sipdroid - Project Hosting on SIP/VoIP client for Android app to make voip calls
extraneous: Sipdroid + GV = GUAVA = Free Calls and Messaging to USA and Canada Great Blog/tutorial on how to set up the whole thing on your phone (only problem is it is for Gizmo which google bought and has frozen signups) But you can retrofit it for sipgate.

Both are good reads on how to set up voip calling if and when the sipdroid app will ever work with out phone.

It seemed like something that should be so easy, but the powers at be (even google) are trying to make it very tough to implement these types of features into our phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones