• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moment's Security.

This was pointed out earlier by someone on a thread and I couldn't seem to find it. But just to point it out again the moment can be turned off or put on airplane mode even while its locked. This may be a bad thing if someone steals your phone and you want to use someones phone to either call or text it so that it will ring to find out who has it. All the thief has to do is put it on airplane mode or turn it off to deactivate ringers, sound, and gps.

Is there an app or option where I can use a passcode to unlock the phone rather than the pattern?

And is there a way to track my phone through gps just in case it's lost or stolen?

Any ideas or suggestions if a device someone rely relies on a lot is lost or stolen? My friend on his moment was able to add a message on the home screen saying "If found please contact "phone number" "email" and will be given a "$300" reward.

Sorry for long post

This was pointed out earlier by someone on a thread and I couldn't seem to find it.

And is there a way to track my phone through gps just in case it's lost or stolen?
That was me, in the stickied list of known issues thread. Anyways, there is an 'antivirus' by flexilis that is supposed to have GPS location, and a screamer to find it nearby. But it didn't work, at all, for me.
However, there is another app called 'wheres my droid' that is supposed to do the location services. I know that the screamer option works perfectly, but I haven't tried the GPS yet. There is a free option that is weak but nice, and there is a $1 donate version that does something extra (I think that's what gets the GPS maybe).

Upvote 0
This was pointed out earlier by someone on a thread and I couldn't seem to find it. But just to point it out again the moment can be turned off or put on airplane mode even while its locked. This may be a bad thing if someone steals your phone and you want to use someones phone to either call or text it so that it will ring to find out who has it. All the thief has to do is put it on airplane mode or turn it off to deactivate ringers, sound, and gps.

I don't see the problem considering the thief can just pull out the battery as well and there is no way to prevent that. The lock pattern is meant to protect your personal data and not a way to possible retrieve a lost/stolen phone.

Upvote 0
I don't see the problem considering the thief can just pull out the battery as well and there is no way to prevent that. The lock pattern is meant to protect your personal data and not a way to possible retrieve a lost/stolen phone.
I know what you mean, This is the original post
Just found a new issue.
I do not like the fact that you can turn the phone off (or in airplane mode) while the phone has the lock screen enabled.

It seems like a big hole in the security features on the phone if I have a locater app (ex. that allows me to find it through GPS, or make it scream if it's nearby) that can be easily bypassed by just powering it down (or even worse, putting it in airplane mode).

Imagine that you just realized that your Moment phone had been swiped! You wanted to borrow the phone of the next person you saw, so that you could text a keyword to your phone to engage the GPS/scream location security features. You sent the text, and nothing happens... now what?

Well, if the airplane mode has been enabled, then the thief can try to crack your security code without the worry of the security features being activated!

Sure, the security features can easily be disarmed by removing the battery... but that also removes the purpose and value of the device. The same goes for powering it down. But as soon as the phone is powered back on, it would receive the text and engage the security GPS location features.

Basically, by allowing access to airplane mode while the lock screen is on, it partially defeats the purpose of the lock screen. I think that whenever the lock screen is on, there should be no way to do anything with the phone aside from 1)attempting to put in the code, or 2)pulling the battery.
So you can understand, that pulling the battery = completely eliminating the value of the phone = no reason to steal it.
Putting it into airplane mode = literally a 'bypass security' mode = incentive (or at least less worry) for stealing a phone with a lock on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones