• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MOTO BING: Microsoft Seeking Android Coup (Worse Than We Thought?)

phandroid

Admin News Bot
Apr 12, 2008
Burning the midnight oil at about 2am I saw the huge news that Motorola Android Phones would feature Bing and wrote up a lengthy article exploring what the move would mean for Google, Android and consumers. I didn’t realize it would be this bad… While we knew the Motorola/Microsoft partnership would be aimed at countries where [...]

More...

At the end of the day, its all choice. Although i'm 100% Google, we can't expect handset manufacturers not to take cash from Microsoft, Yahoo or whoever. They're in it for a profit, simple. I won't buy a phone that doesn't default - or at least make it damned easy - to get my emails, Google maps etc on the handset. If Google is ever completely blocked from a handset (is at all possible on Android handsets), thats a no-go for me.

If this rolls out worldwide, it'll just push Google harder to get better products out there.

Upvote 0
I don't think it's that bad. Global is probably a worthwhile term to use if Moto decides to launch phones in other areas of the world where Google may also choose not to do business. It seems like self-preservation on Moto's part.

One must remember that the very same week Google announced it might pull out of China, Moto was set to release three new Android phones in China. Google's action while admirable could have proved a financial disaster to Moto if they did not seek an alternative to Google search and/or gmail.

It's a pretty sticky wicket when two companies partner on a product, but one of those companies, in essence, goes rogue.

And what news are we seeing today?

Google '99.9 percent' sure to shutter Google.cn

Google, seemingly torn between Chinese censorship and Chinese opportunity, is now "99.9 percent" certain that it will shut down its Chinese search engine, Google.cn.

According to a Financial Times source "familiar with the company's thinking," the search giant, having reached an apparent impasse with the Chinese government officials, has drafted detailed plans to close the Chinese search business, though it remains optimistic about finding a way to maintain its overall operations in China.

Google '99.9 percent' sure to shutter Google.cn | Webware - CNET

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones