• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moto Triumph, my experience, a few gripes

New Motorola Triumph owner, got mine from BB last Sat. Coming from a Straight Talk Nokia E71. Couldn't stand the Blackberry tiny keyboard, screen and lack of graphics performance. Hell on eye strain.:eek:

I went with the 300 mins plan, I rarely used 100 mins on the ST Nokia E71. And It's $10 cheaper! Wish I'd caught this before Virgin bumped this up from $25/mo!!!!! LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the touchscreen. Almost 0% app lag, maybe a fraction here 'n there, but SO fast and smooth compared to dinky-key pecking!

Everything is working 100% on my Triumph. Only minor gripes so far:
Super-hard to clean screen, fingerprint MAGNET. This may be the almost invisible factory SP which I haven't peeled away just yet. Smears like crazy. Corning website does confirm it's got Gorilla Glass, way at the bottom of the page toward the right, click the Triumph name link. Impressive test data if you read the PDF articles.

I have not yet found how to Export my Contacts out of my old Nokia E71 into the MT for Import, need HELP!:thinking: Tried selecting all contacts in E71, copied to Msd card, swapped, but MT Contacts Import says there is no vCard present on the Msd card. File type incompatibility? Card formatted differently between the 2 devices? What to do? Am I doomed to transcribe all of the over MANUALLY:(:thinking::eek:?!?!?! Tried doing a few of them, my huge mitts are getting frequent mis-keyed presses on the contacts data entry fields, which leads me to my final gripe.....

Having problems getting accurate key touches on the Contacts keyboard entry field. And there doesn't seem to be any cursor movement keys to reposition it when (not if!) you screw up! What a huge PITA! This is compounded by only having Portrait mode available. Screen does not flip to Landscape view when rotated, other apps do, usually providing larger keys for my clumsy mitts to hit:mad:!

OK I'm done bitching! All in all, I'm saving $10/mo, no more pecky keys, I've been 'Droided and love it, so many more cool toys and apps to play with! Just need answers to these few issues

I got my Triumph last Friday and I agree, the screen smears are terrible and are very hard to remove.

As far as importing contacts goes, if you have a Gmail account, put all of your contacts into Gmail. Then when you sign into your Gmail for the first time on your new phone, all of your contacts will be imported to the new phone automatically. I actually discovered this by accident. I, too, was dreading re-entering my contacts into the new phone, but after signing into Gmail, I checked my contacts and they were all there already.

It may be a pain to enter all of them into Gmail, but it will be the last time you have to enter your contacts anywhere. From now on, your contacts will automatically be imported into any new phone you buy, if you can access your Gmail account.

Due to the Triumph having a plastic body, there are some grounding issues when pressing some of the keys on the touchscreen. If you have a key that does not respond to a key-touch, be sure to touch the metal on/off/sleep button on the upper left side of the phone with the hand holding the phone. Once you're touching that button, touching any key on the touchscreen works like a charm.

Upvote 0
gkitf16.
download Hacker's Keyboard from the Market and enjoy the cursor keys! :)

One hopefully useful suggestion. Enter a few contacts into the MT, and Export them to the SD card. Move that file over to your computer. Now enter all your contacts into that same file on the computer using the same format, and re-Import it back into the Contacts app.

Another possibility is to search the web for a Contacts exporter tool for Nokia phones.

Lastly, try the Gingerbread Keyboard, and Swype Beta keyboards (Google Swype Beta and go to their site to sign up for the program, and receive the download / .apk). You also might want to try SwiftKey X.

The problem with some of these smart keyboards is with completion / correction, they sometimes guess wrong. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones