• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MotoActv - what do you think?

I'm actually getting very discouraged based on what I'm reading about the battery life.

And I can't seem to get as straight answer as to which is the biggest battery hog - I'm thinking that the GPS unit is struggling because people are running on rail trails and in the woods where there is tree coverage and that plus a bluetooth headset is giving them ~2hours. That would be unacceptable to me.

Please let me know what you experience!!

Upvote 0
Well, I haven't run it into the ground, but it hasn't crapped out at two hours yet. I don't use the text & phone goodies much. I suspect the GPS is the biggest hog (BT HR monitors not out yet). I think when I tried to wear it all day as a watch it lasted about 5 hours. If you're doing all day trails, I doubt it would last.

Upvote 0
Well, I haven't run it into the ground, but it hasn't crapped out at two hours yet. I don't use the text & phone goodies much. I suspect the GPS is the biggest hog (BT HR monitors not out yet). I think when I tried to wear it all day as a watch it lasted about 5 hours. If you're doing all day trails, I doubt it would last.

Anything new to report? I've been reading the motorola forums a lot and the group still seems very divided into those that love it vs hate it. I guess the latest update did a lot for the battery life but there are still grumbles about the gps.

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts.

Upvote 0
Hi!
Yeah, l still love it and use it almost daily. I only wish I could figure out how to put audio books on it.
Sounds like l use it differently than you would, though. I only use it for 30min- 1 hr runs and usually put it on charge afterward, so I haven't had power issues. GPS seems accurate if a little slow to connect at the start.
Also, I don't typically connect to my phone as I just step out my front door to go running.
The HR headphones STILL aren't available :mad: but overall I'm very happy. I love that your workouts just appear miraculously on the internet.

I've had one problem so far that has only happened once: one day while running it quit responding to touch. It was in the 40s outside and worked normally after being indoors for a few minutes. Hasn't happened again, dunno what it was.

Upvote 0
I've had one problem so far that has only happened once: one day while running it quit responding to touch. It was in the 40s outside and worked normally after being indoors for a few minutes. Hasn't happened again, dunno what it was.

I had that problem with the Bionic screen. On the Bionic I concluded that it was moisture.

Maybe the same here?

... Thom

Upvote 0
Hi!
Yeah, l still love it and use it almost daily. I only wish I could figure out how to put audio books on it.
Sounds like l use it differently than you would, though. I only use it for 30min- 1 hr runs and usually put it on charge afterward, so I haven't had power issues. GPS seems accurate if a little slow to connect at the start.
Also, I don't typically connect to my phone as I just step out my front door to go running.
The HR headphones STILL aren't available :mad: but overall I'm very happy. I love that your workouts just appear miraculously on the internet.

Good to hear - are you using those smart playlists that it's supposed to make for you?

I may jump on it yet. DH just asked me today what I want for my birthday [in March]. I think right now it's first on the list.

Upvote 0
To answer MtnbikerChk's original question, I received the MotoActv for Christmas after using a 25% off corporate discount. I'm on my third replacement which arrived yesterday. This is bleeding edge technology with lots of bumps so unless you have the patience I'd wait for the next generation, if there is one.

Having said all that, when it works, it's GREAT. The link back to the website is the most impressive as it tracks you on a map, shows your heart rate the entire time, and even tells you which songs gave you the most energy. It blue tooth links to your phone to pass through text, alerts, and even calls (haven't tried calls). Not sure why you would necessarily carry both, but if you have the phone within blue tooth range it's a nice feature. Would make some sense biking with your phone in a backpack I guess... not sure about running. The MotoActv on it's own can pickup WiFi as well.

Overall it's an expense gadget. But it you like having the "latest thing" out and can tolerate the growing pains... it's functional. There are more mature, less expensive, separate items on the market. But if you want an all-in-one devise... this does it.

BTW - Someone has already figured out how to root it and load it with native Android for full feature function like the phones/tablets.

Upvote 0
To answer MtnbikerChk's original question, I received the MotoActv for Christmas after using a 25% off corporate discount. I'm on my third replacement which arrived yesterday. This is bleeding edge technology with lots of bumps so unless you have the patience I'd wait for the next generation, if there is one.

Having said all that, when it works, it's GREAT. The link back to the website is the most impressive as it tracks you on a map, shows your heart rate the entire time, and even tells you which songs gave you the most energy. It blue tooth links to your phone to pass through text, alerts, and even calls (haven't tried calls). Not sure why you would necessarily carry both, but if you have the phone within blue tooth range it's a nice feature. Would make some sense biking with your phone in a backpack I guess... not sure about running. The MotoActv on it's own can pickup WiFi as well.

Overall it's an expense gadget. But it you like having the "latest thing" out and can tolerate the growing pains... it's functional. There are more mature, less expensive, separate items on the market. But if you want an all-in-one devise... this does it.

BTW - Someone has already figured out how to root it and load it with native Android for full feature function like the phones/tablets.

excellent!!

I'm thinking that as soon as longer daylight hours allow me to run outside.....I may just get one!

Upvote 0
Bumping this old thread :)

Shortly after my last post I was sent into a tailspin of physical therapy that left me doing nothing but indoor cardio for 12 weeks so I didn't buy it.

I'm finally cleared and BACK in the market.

The latest negative buzz is people are sending their units back for warranty repairs and motorola is rejecting them because they have "water damage" and these people have never put them in water or run in the rain.

This is a little scary - but makes sense now that the weather is warmer and people are sweating more that this issue took so long to pop up.

Still on the fence :) LOL My husband has a forerunner 410 and loves it.

Can't I get both? ;)

Upvote 0
I know you were all on the edge of your seat - just checking in to let you know I did pick one up at REI last night.

I tested it on a short 1mi run today. HOLY CRAP this thing is cool!

The display seems a bit cheesy to me - but the actual functions rok!

I love that the coach will give me my metrics at intervals I define (either time or distance).

I love that all my itunes music sync'd without issue!

I'm sure more to come, if anyone is interested :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones