• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Atrix Battery Life

I just got my new Atrix on Saturday and wanted to chime in to this thread. I am really big on putting new phones/devices through the wringer when I first get them. As I mentioned, I got the phone on Saturday around 1 pm and used it heavily until it died on Sunday evening...that was on the factory charge and it was roaming without a data connection until Sunday afternoon.

First charge was done and over by 8 pm Sunday evening with some use before I went to bed around 10 pm. I woke up at 7:00 am Monday morning and used my phone for work from 8 am to 5 pm. That usage included emails, twitter, a couple phone calls, app downloads, a couple videos from NFL Network and texting; all while having my screen timer on a 30 second shut off time and the auto-backlight on. After 5 pm I slowed my usage down a little and finally killed the battery around 8 pm when I put it on the charger for it's second charge cycle since purchasing it.

All in all, I think 24 hours on one charge, un-used for about 12 hours and then put through the wringer for about 11 hours is pretty great battery life. I am a big proponent of charge cycles, and I do them once a month on all of my devices. It is very important to do AT LEAST 2 of them when you get your phone for the first time, after that, do what you have to do.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to update everyone, on my second and final charge cycle after receiving my new phone on Saturday afternoon, I got 25 hours and 5 minutes out of the battery before it died. That was with heavy usage all day yesterday and then no charge all night and using it for about an hour this morning.

In my mind, this is a great battery life. MOST (not all) people consider the ability of a phone battery to last from the time you wake up to when you go to bed to be a good battery life but if you can get longer out of it, that's just icing on a the cake or if you prefer, gravy. The Atrix has a great battery for the speed that you get out of the phone.

Upvote 0
I have been getting about 20% - 30% by 8 or 9pm if I start the day at 7am with 100% battery. I usually browse the net a few times a day, (short 5 - 10mins), get about 20 - 30 emails, and check the stock prices a few times. Now this is the shocking news ... I turned off auto sync gmail, and I am having 60% of battery by 8 or 9pm. Everything else stays pretty much the same except I now manually sync gmail.

Upvote 0
ok so ive went through 2 atrixs in almost 3 weeks. the one i have now is my 3rd one. my first one at first had great battery i was very impress but then i dropped it about 4 or 5 days after i got it and the battery started to die fast, so i went and returned it. my second had bad battery life and so a few day later i went and returned that one too. now the one i have now is pretty much like my second one the battery is not like how the first one was at all. i would go to school at around 7:10am and come home at around 3:25 to 4pm and i would get from 50% to 30% left. i do the same thing i did with my first atrix leave data on all day, use a 3rd party texting app, browse the web(about 20mins to 1 and half hours),download some apps, maybe netflix once in a while. my first atrix would be around 70% to 60% which i dont mind becuase i know i used it alot but the one i have now drops so low. can someone explain to me why my second 2 atrix can last as long as my first one? i had it for for 6 days. all of them were new atrix from a at&t store. on my first atrix i left all syncing on, didnt mess with any of that at all, with the one i have now i turned off all syncing and the apps that i normally have running at all times are facebook and textfree again this was the same for the first atrix and the one i have now

Upvote 0
I don't understand, mine is overclocked to 1.43Ghz, with some undervolt tewaks, and unplugging at 7am, playing for about an hour, watching Family guy for about 40 minutes, chatting 2-3 hours, some skype calls, about 45 minutes of calls, and some other things, at 5pm I still have 68%.

Curious but what are your undervolt tweaks?

Upvote 0
I don't understand, mine is overclocked to 1.43Ghz, with some undervolt tewaks, and unplugging at 7am, playing for about an hour, watching Family guy for about 40 minutes, chatting 2-3 hours, some skype calls, about 45 minutes of calls, and some other things, at 5pm I still have 68%.

I believe that. It really depends on how many apps you have running in the background, screen brightness, notification settings and how much net surfing. My phone is loaded with 190 apps, 33 widgets and a live wallpaper. I get 12 to 14 hrs daily. I don't talk much on it , but do text, check e-mails, do about a few hrs. of reading news and stuff, surfing the net and stream music for about 2 hrs or more.

Upvote 0
After searching for weeks for a solution for my terrible battery life I finally found the fix on XDA forums. I was getting a little bit more than 48 hours on battery, with light use and almost no calls. The problem I had turned out to be the phone baseband, as I was using an unlocked Bell phone on a Rogers network (in Canada). After flashing the phone with an AT&T (who developed Rogers network in Canada) baseband (36p and later 37p) my battery life jumped to almost 5 days!
I cannot post links yet but search for “Atrix radios” thread on XDA developers for more info as to what types of basebands are available. The flashing process is simple: you only need the clockwork recovery installed.

Reactions: Roze
Upvote 0
After searching for weeks for a solution for my terrible battery life I finally found the fix on XDA forums. I was getting a little bit more than 48 hours on battery, with light use and almost no calls. The problem I had turned out to be the phone baseband, as I was using an unlocked Bell phone on a Rogers network (in Canada). After flashing the phone with an AT&T (who developed Rogers network in Canada) baseband (36p and later 37p) my battery life jumped to almost 5 days!
I cannot post links yet but search for “Atrix radios” thread on XDA developers for more info as to what types of basebands are available. The flashing process is simple: you only need the clockwork recovery installed.

OHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! *_* I am in the same predicament as you. Bell on Rogers...but no use and my phone only lasts for 20 hours XD 48 hours on standby is pretty good on my book...but FIVE BLOODY DAYS! Molly cow!!! I flashed the French Radio last year, I don't think there was an AT&T radio at the time. Thanks for posting!

Is this the thread: Atrix RADIOS - xda-developers

Upvote 0
OHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! *_* I am in the same predicament as you. Bell on Rogers...but no use and my phone only lasts for 20 hours XD 48 hours on standby is pretty good on my book...but FIVE BLOODY DAYS! Molly cow!!! I flashed the French Radio last year, I don't think there was an AT&T radio at the time. Thanks for posting!

Is this the thread: Atrix RADIOS - xda-developers

Yes, that's the one. Flash either 36p or the latest 37p AT&T radio and you will be amazed by the difference in battery life!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones