• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola concept phone looks amazing

That's crazy! Quick summary:
  • Motorola's New Concept Phone:
    • Revealed at Lenovo Tech World 2023, multi-functional as a phone and smartwatch.
    • Adaptive display: transitions from a flat phone to a wrist-worn device, allowing various adjustments.
  • Design:
    • 6.9-inch FHD+ OLED panel; bendable to a 4.6-inch panel.
    • Ribbed folding points for flexible bending and positioning.
  • Commercial Potential:
    • Uncertain if it will become a commercial product.
    • Motorola has prior success with foldable and rollable display devices.
  • Author’s Perspective:
    • High enthusiasm for the concept, hoping it becomes a reality.
Wish we could integrate ChatGPT to automatically summarize news articles and links like above!

One day :)

Upvote 0
Anything described as a "concept" is something that won't make it to market ;). And in this case it's obvious why: it's a cool concept, but hopelessly impractical.

Posing for a photo is one thing, but how long will it stay on your wrist in normal life? How many times will it fly off just because your arm brushes your side when you are walking, or it bumps against a door, or...? Will you want to wear a "watch" you have to take off to put a jacket on? Or use a laptop (my laptop would scatch that screen to hell, if it didn't just get in the way of my typing on the keyboard). Or any of a number of other daily activities.

Kind of cool, but unless it has the scratch resistance of glass that screen will have lots of marks on it pretty quickly.
I'd take it off before putting your arm on a table: ordinary domestic grit contains crystals that are harder than any glass, and this would have the weight of your arm pressing it down. My Pixel 2's Gorilla Glass picked up some small scratches just from my putting it face down without a case during a meeting, so I think this would take a lot of care to keep it scratch-free.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones