• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Motorola Defy: First startup questions

Hi

So today i finally got to mess around with my new Defy. I have two questions though. When i first started it up i weren't asked to create a Motoblur account, only create a new Google account or login to a existing one. In a lot of reviews i've seen they complain about the fact that you're forced to create Motoblur account(where you "blur" things like Facebook and Twitter together on the homescreen) to even be able to use the phone, why weren't? I come from Sweden som maybe this is only a requirement in other countries, seems a bit strange though.

One more thing, how do i know that my phone is updated to Android 2.2 (Froyo)? Can i check it somewhere. Sure it said "Motorola Defy with Android 2.2" it on the site where i ordered it from but it runs a bit laggy so i'm a bit doubtful (from what i've read it's suppose to run quite smooth).

Isak from Sweden

Further thoughts on your phone lagging. I don't think any smart phone can be guaranteed to never lag, it's a computer after all. But even if you have 2.1 (Eclair) that shouldn't be a real issue if you have a ROM reasonably free of bloatware. I've recently upgraded to 2.2 (Froyo) and the improvement is not dramatic.

To get the best from Android it is essential to have an unbranded ROM, the original Vodafone branded one in mine was a nightmare. It is very easy to do, and easy to recover when things go wrong.

Take a look at these links:

[GUIDE] Debranding /Installing different/recovering bricked firmware on your Motorola Defy - Android @ MoDaCo

How to Install android 2.2 froyo [updated 1/4/11] - Motorola Defy Forum

There are always guys in the forums who'll help if you get stuck, but you won't do.

Reactions: Izak80
Upvote 0
Further thoughts on your phone lagging. I don't think any smart phone can be guaranteed to never lag, it's a computer after all. But even if you have 2.1 (Eclair) that shouldn't be a real issue if you have a ROM reasonably free of bloatware. I've recently upgraded to 2.2 (Froyo) and the improvement is not dramatic.

To get the best from Android it is essential to have an unbranded ROM, the original Vodafone branded one in mine was a nightmare. It is very easy to do, and easy to recover when things go wrong.

Take a look at these links:

[GUIDE] Debranding /Installing different/recovering bricked firmware on your Motorola Defy - Android @ MoDaCo

How to Install android 2.2 froyo [updated 1/4/11] - Motorola Defy Forum

There are always guys in the forums who'll help if you get stuck, but you won't do.

My phone came with Froyo and after i have rooted and used SetVsel to overclock the cpu (frequency: 1GHZ voltage: 52) it works alot smoother. I would very much like to oc the cpu even further, at least 1100MHZ, but am afraid that i will wear it down quicker at this higher frequency (300MHZ up from the default setting), what do you think?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones