• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Droid 2 - Need Some Help!

Hello All,

Im new to the forum and would like all who extended me a warm welcome. I recently purchased a brand new Motorola Droid 2 that was already flashed to metro pcs. It had already been rooted I believe and is running 2.3.3 android. I dont like it because I believe it the Verizon version and I cant wifi tether among other things.

Here are the specs below;

System Version: 4.5.153 A955- Continuis Verizon.en.us
Model: Droid 2
Android Version: 2.3.3
Baseband Version: BP.c_01.109.10p
Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9-gd72dc5d A20523@il93lnxdroid49#1
Build#: STAB
ERI Version: 5
PRL Version: 3014

My first question is;

Is this phone running a custom rom?
Can I erase all Verizons programs off this device and instal a different android version such as 2.3.2 Project Elite or 2.3.3 Gingerbread?

I need to be able to create a wifi hotspot eve though I know it will be extremely slow especially with Metro.

How would I do this without having to pay someone.

I only have basic computer skills and know nothing about adk files or any files for that matter. LoL!

PLEASE HELP!

Hello All,

Im new to the forum and would like all who extended me a warm welcome. I recently purchased a brand new Motorola Droid 2 that was already flashed to metro pcs. It had already been rooted I believe and is running 2.3.3 android. I dont like it because I believe it the Verizon version and I cant wifi tether among other things.

Here are the specs below;

System Version: 4.5.153 A955- Continuis Verizon.en.us
Model: Droid 2
Android Version: 2.3.3
Baseband Version: BP.c_01.109.10p
Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9-gd72dc5d A20523@il93lnxdroid49#1
Build#: STAB
ERI Version: 5
PRL Version: 3014

My first question is;

Is this phone running a custom rom?
Can I erase all Verizons programs off this device and instal a different android version such as 2.3.2 Project Elite or 2.3.3 Gingerbread?

I need to be able to create a wifi hotspot eve though I know it will be extremely slow especially with Metro.

How would I do this without having to pay someone.

I only have basic computer skills and know nothing about adk files or any files for that matter. LoL!

PLEASE HELP!

1) Only the people at MetroPCS can tell you what you're running OS wise. When they flashed it over to that network they could have changed things we are not privy to as fellow D2 users.

2) Ask the Metro people what software they implemented, if your'e seeing VZW bloatware go into our Root Subforum and look at the list of programs that are safe to Freeze/Uninstall for clean up help.

3) You'll need a tethering app like PDANet to do that. Their tutorials are helpful. Just follow their instructions and it works pretty well, imho.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones