• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MotoTorch LED 2.0 released - FREE FOR 3 DAYS

nope...same brightness.

Thanks for saving me and everyone else the effort of comparing the two. It's at least comforting to know that if the flashlight apps developed by this forum's dev community are doing any lasting damage to the LEDs, then the motorola version of the app would be doing the same thing. I don't know if the moto version has the same sort of "Use at your own risk" disclaimer.

Upvote 0
Thanks for saving me and everyone else the effort of comparing the two. It's at least comforting to know that if the flashlight apps developed by this forum's dev community are doing any lasting damage to the LEDs, then the motorola version of the app would be doing the same thing. I don't know if the moto version has the same sort of "Use at your own risk" disclaimer.

It does have a disclaimer that you have to agree to. I am thinking about something like it, but not nearly like the book that they have. Their's is probably a good 2000 words.

Upvote 0
eclipsed4utoo, love the widget/app however I have a question for you.

I'm a compulsive task-killer and I've noticed that using the MotoTorch widget to turn the light on/off leaves the application running after the LED is turned off. Is there any way to have the program exit when the widget is turned off?

I can look into it, but I believe that is normal Android behavior, or at least that is the default behavior.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hello eclipsed4utoo,

first of all thanks for this really great App and your commitment for it!!! Really appreciated!

I need to come back to the change you made to the App at 11/28. What exactly did you change that it is available to non-carrier-branded milestones in europe?

We are struggeling very hard with google and motorola to find out what exactly causes this behaviour and it seems to me that you found it and solved it?!

I am in contact with other developer who do not knwo what to do to make their apps available to ALL milestone users.

Please help... :)

Upvote 0
Hello eclipsed4utoo,

first of all thanks for this really great App and your commitment for it!!! Really appreciated!

I need to come back to the change you made to the App at 11/28. What exactly did you change that it is available to non-carrier-branded milestones in europe?

We are struggeling very hard with google and motorola to find out what exactly causes this behaviour and it seems to me that you found it and solved it?!

I am in contact with other developer who do not knwo what to do to make their apps available to ALL milestone users.

Please help... :)

PM Sent

Upvote 0
eclipsed4utoo, love the widget/app however I have a question for you.

I'm a compulsive task-killer and I've noticed that using the MotoTorch widget to turn the light on/off leaves the application running after the LED is turned off. Is there any way to have the program exit when the widget is turned off?

This doesn't happen on mine but then again I could have brightness automatic on the last version of this app.

Upvote 0
I like the new widget a lot better, much more visible and cool looking.

I have the same issue with my screen not responding to the settings. I turned on and off the automatic brightness and it doesn't matter. It won't dim, it won't turn off. However, I am using the built in power usage widget which give me brightness control on my home screen, so maybe that is it.

it's not that big of a deal for me to stop using the power usage, one touch Wi-Fi and GPS is too good.

Upvote 0
I like the new widget a lot better, much more visible and cool looking.

I have the same issue with my screen not responding to the settings. I turned on and off the automatic brightness and it doesn't matter. It won't dim, it won't turn off. However, I am using the built in power usage widget which give me brightness control on my home screen, so maybe that is it.

it's not that big of a deal for me to stop using the power usage, one touch Wi-Fi and GPS is too good.

I tested it and with auto brightness enabled, the checkboxes were disabled. If I then disabled auto brightness and go back into the app, both checkboxes are enabled and I can check/uncheck them.

This how the app is suppose to work.

Upvote 0
I really don't like the new widget, which I suppose is partly because I adored the torch design (even its orientation). But the frame on the new widget is awkward & boxy, and the placement of the widget name on top looks sort of tortured.

Maybe there's a compromise here--I'd love having just the flame as an icon.

I am working on an update to allow the user to chose which widget they want.

Upvote 0
Version 2.6 is released.

1. The widget icon is now configurable. Use the MENU button in the application to select the icon for the widget.
2. Fixed issue where using the widget of certain other apps could cause the LEDs to come on.
3. Added a Disclaimer when opening the app. It should only be shown once. If you accept, it will not show again.
4. Added a message when Automatic Brightness is enabled.
5. The "Dim Screen" slider is disabled when the "Dim Screen" checkbox is unchecked. Trying to avoid any confusion.

Upvote 0
just "bought" the app.

#1 - you r a rockstar for releasing this both "donate" and regular! This thread probably ain't the place, but please spread the word to other developers if this ends up rewarding you reasonably well for the hours you put into the work. There are lots of us who share your values in this regard!!!!

#2 - the morse code is definitely off on my a855. maybe by a decimal! (10x)

#3 - is your blog Eclipsed4utoo's Blog Blog Archive MotoTorch LED – LED Flashlight – My First Android Applicationa better place for us to go for "support" or is this just as good?

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a lot of the info from this thread turned into a FAQ and put into the menu pull-down of the app when it's running.

That's one irritating thing to me about the DROID and most of the app's I've seen; poor documentation / no "Help" function. Any time I've mentioned this I get a "hey what do you expect for free (or $1)" response. The issue is NOT the price, heck I don't expect even a POOR flashlight app for free!

Upvote 0
just "bought" the app.

#1 - you r a rockstar for releasing this both "donate" and regular! This thread probably ain't the place, but please spread the word to other developers if this ends up rewarding you reasonably well for the hours you put into the work. There are lots of us who share your values in this regard!!!!

#2 - the morse code is definitely off on my a855. maybe by a decimal! (10x)

#3 - is your blog Eclipsed4utoo's Blog Blog Archive MotoTorch LED

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones