• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MotoTorch LED 2.0 released - FREE FOR 3 DAYS

Un-Installed the FREE version so I could donate.

Great app, thank you so much.

Weird thing though (not sure if it's developer or Market driven), when I un-installed it asked me why. Upgrade to paid version and Other were not listed options.

Just put down Rather Not Say because no other one was right.

Those are canned questions from the market. I can't do anything about those.

Upvote 0
It will be free forever, not for just 3 days.

Apps --> Tools --> Just In.

1. Uses both a widget and a normal application to turn on the LEDs as a flashlight.
2. The widget icon will change depending on whether the LEDs are on or not.
3. The application will allow you to configure whether you want the screen to dim or not.
4. The application will allow you to use the LEDs as a strobe light.
5. The application will allow you to use the LEDs as a MORSE CODE sender, implementing the international Morse protocol.

Version 2.2(11/26):

1. Strobe and Morse Code now run on their own threads. This means that there are now Start/Stop buttons.
2. Strobe now has 2 sliders that allow the duration and delay to be configurable. These can be moved while the strobe is on to see the values changed on the fly.
3. Changed the checkbox for the "Torch" section to be more descriptive.

I made tons of changes to how the settings are saved. I hope this will have fixed the issue with it losing the screen timeout. If it continues to happen, let me know.

Version 2.3(11/27):

1. Now supports landscape mode.
2. Added numeric labels to the strobe sliders.

Version 2.4(11/27):

1. Fixed issue with moving to landscape while Strobe or Morse code is on.

As for the "dim screen", it seems that I am not able to change the brightness programmatically because of a bug in Android. It is stated that it should be fixed in the first update of Android.

Also, "turn off the screen" only works when Automatic brightness is turned off. If auto brightness is on, the light sensor senses the light of the flash, and thinks that it needs to brighten the screen.

To install the widget, Long Press on an open space on a HOME screen, choose "Widgets", then choose "MotoTorch LED".

I have also added a Donation version of the app to the Market. If you would like to donate toward MotoTorch's development, you can buy that version. BOTH VERSIONS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME. The free version is NOT limited in any way.

Scan the barcode below with Barcode Scanner to be taken directly to the Market.

Rock on dude... I just installed... best flashlight app ever. =)

Upvote 0
Thank you for making this excellent app free:) I am one of those without a Credit/PayPal card that is limited to free apps, and this is one of the ones I really want, but otherwise couldn't have. I would of course donate if I could, though:eek:.

I'll sign up with the marketplace and pay for both of us.

Thanks again eclipsed, I too am donating because you offered it for free :D

{I've had PayPal for just over 6 years and I finally used it}

Upvote 0
I'll sign up with the marketplace and pay for both of us.

Thanks again eclipsed, I too am donating because you offered it for free :D

{I've had PayPal for just over 6 years and I finally used it}

Thanks for the donation. Good to see people recognizing the time and work that has gone into the app, even though I offer it for free.

You guys(and ladies) are great.

Upvote 0
I have released a new update.

Here are the changes:

1. Changed the widget icon.
2. Added the ability to dim the screen while the LEDs are on. This includes having a slider to specify the brightness of the screen.
3. Fixed "B" "D" Morse Code bug.
4. The "Dim Screen" and "Turn Off Screen" are now disabled if Automatic Brightness is enabled. Automatic Brightness overrides both of these settings. Currently there is no way for me to disable Automatic Brightness programmatically.

NOTE: The Dim Screen only works from the application. It currently does not work from the widget. This is due to a bug in Android.

Let me know what you think of the new widget it. Better? Worse?

Upvote 0
My screen use to go black after a few seconds. I liked this but now after the update the screen never turns off. Great app but I liked the way it was working. I can see the icon better although I still prefer not to have borders on it like another phone but why is the icon in my list the old one? As in it didn't change.

ps. Screen won't dim even without using the widget

Upvote 0
Any draw back to using the LED as a flashlight, will it burn out faster?

Thanks

It's possible. Nobody really knows. This is one of the reasons for the "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" in the description. Nobody really knows of the side effects of using the LEDs like this.

Personally, I am not worrying about it. Going by the Department of Energy's data, the usable life of a while LED bulb is 35,000-50,000 hours. At the 35,000 hours, that's 4 years of continuous use. I don't plan on keeping this phone for 4 years, and I don't plan on running this LED for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

Upvote 0
My screen use to go black after a few seconds. I liked this but now after the update the screen never turns off. Great app but I liked the way it was working. I can see the icon better although I still prefer not to have borders on it like another phone but why is the icon in my list the old one? As in it didn't change.

Open the application, and make sure the "Turn Off Screen" checkbox is checked. If it's checked, uncheck it, then check it again.

As for the icon, I only changed the widget icon, not the application's icon.

Upvote 0
Open the application, and make sure the "Turn Off Screen" checkbox is checked. If it's checked, uncheck it, then check it again.

As for the icon, I only changed the widget icon, not the application's icon.

For some reason I can not put a check mark on the turn screen off. Not sure why. I tried using my finger and the d-pad but nothing. I can highlight it but nothing else. Any help would be grateful.
Can't check dim screen either or work the slider next to them with my finger can only move that slider with d-pad. No biggy on the slider.

Upvote 0
For some reason I can not put a check mark on the turn screen off. Not sure why. I tried using my finger and the d-paf but nothing. I can highlight it but nothing else. Any help would be grateful.

Do you have Automatic Brightness on? Settings --> Sounds & display --> Brightness --> Automatic Brightness checkbox.

4. The "Dim Screen" and "Turn Off Screen" are now disabled if Automatic Brightness is enabled. Automatic Brightness overrides both of these settings. Currently there is no way for me to disable Automatic Brightness programmatically.

Upvote 0
Sorry, smart phone noob. My only question is why did it work before with automatic brightness set? Great app and thanks for all your help. Keep up the good work.

I have no idea. You may have had the only one that actually worked correctly with auto brightness enabled. Most other people's were not working correctly because of auto brightness.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot! This is why I love Android so much more than my old Blackberry. The community is actually willing to make the operating system more useful without charging you an arm and a leg to do it. Its great to have people who make these sort of applications because a larger company would never make it half as well.

Upvote 0
Did you notice Motorola released a flashlight app? Not plugging it, yours is FAR superior, but people are being ignorant and rating it 5 stars when yours has been far better for a couple weeks now. You have to actually open the app, and touch the light bulb, pretty dumb.

I know its not a competition, just irritated me as a consumer!

Upvote 0
Did you notice Motorola released a flashlight app? Not plugging it, yours is FAR superior, but people are being ignorant and rating it 5 stars when yours has been far better for a couple weeks now. You have to actually open the app, and touch the light bulb, pretty dumb.

I know its not a competition, just irritated me as a consumer!

Yeah, I saw that. I also noticed that they have the LEDs at the same brightness that I do. So I am wondering if upping the brightness on the LEDs is even possible outside of using the camera.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones