• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Movies for long plane trip

This is the main thing stopping me from buying a Thrive and I feel the biggest weakness of Android tablets compared to the iPad. I was really shocked to see that there is no equivalent to iTunes and the ability to download a movie and watch it offline. I spend a lot of time on planes and use Amazon VOD to buy movies to watch. I wanted a Thrive to replace my laptop. The other downside is the size of the charger. I'm not sure it is worth replacing my laptop with these two limitations and I don't want an extra device but I am really jealous everytime I see someone with a Thrive so if anyone knows of solutions to my two concerns it would be a nice winter gift to myself !!

Thanks.....

Upvote 0
This is the main thing stopping me from buying a Thrive and I feel the biggest weakness of Android tablets compared to the iPad. I was really shocked to see that there is no equivalent to iTunes and the ability to download a movie and watch it offline. I spend a lot of time on planes and use Amazon VOD to buy movies to watch. I wanted a Thrive to replace my laptop. The other downside is the size of the charger. I'm not sure it is worth replacing my laptop with these two limitations and I don't want an extra device but I am really jealous everytime I see someone with a Thrive so if anyone knows of solutions to my two concerns it would be a nice winter gift to myself !!

Thanks.....

I think Google is supposed to start rolling out a market update that will allow you to rent movies pretty soon. I read somewhere that the XOOM was already getting it. I'm not sure that you can actually buy them but I know you can rent them and watch them offline.

As far as the charger, I really don't think it's too bulky but that's my opinion. Considering it will charge the tablet from 0% to 100% in 1.5 hours, I can deal with it. Any other tablet takes several hours to fully charge via mini/micro USB then dies several hours sooner! Seriously though, battery on this thing is amazing. Nuff said.

Upvote 0
ganj_420: I was talking about renting from Amazon VOD so thanks for the insight on the possible Google update. I'll try and keep an eye out for that. The charger issue is one that I think a lot of business travellers struggle with. As our devices get smaller we are happy but carrying multiple chargers is frustrating. Currently I would have to carry the laptop sized Thrive charger, plus my cell phone charger plus a wifi hot spot charger plus my Kindle charger (I find e-ink necessary for reading a lot on 8+ hour flights). If the Thrive can get updates to do offline movies and support a USB dongle for internet then I would accept having to carry the laptop sized charger and rush out to buy a Thrive.

Upvote 0
jimwww: Doesn't the DVD catalyst 4 require me to have the movie on DVD and then a computer to do the copying ? It's hardly an equivalent to wirelessly purchasing and downloading from iTunes or Amazon VOD but it could help. Can movies rented from something like Redbox be converted and put on the SD card ? At least that way I could load up a few movies for a few $$'s.

Upvote 0
jimwww: Doesn't the DVD catalyst 4 require me to have the movie on DVD and then a computer to do the copying ? It's hardly an equivalent to wirelessly purchasing and downloading from iTunes or Amazon VOD but it could help. Can movies rented from something like Redbox be converted and put on the SD card ? At least that way I could load up a few movies for a few $$'s.

Don't see why not. I've converted some movies that I own and have them on my SD card. No issues with them at all

Upvote 0
crazydriver: Did a little online research and it appears that it's probably possible in many cases but almost certainly illegal if you don't own the DVD so I'm not interested in that and it seems there's still no option for what I want. I'm hoping that Amazon will make it work on the Fire and from there it will move to the Thrive or that Google will come up with something as part of ICS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones