• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Moving app to sd card

artigat1

Lurker
Aug 2, 2010
Hi,

I received the Froyo update for my HTC Desire over the weekend. I've moved some of my apps to the sd card, but now I get a message saying

Failed to move application.
There is not enough storage left.

My sd card has almost 1gb of free space on it though. The internal memory is nearly full up. Is a certain amount of the space on the SD card reserved for applications? Is that what's filled up? Quite a few of my applications are showing as being able to move onto the sd card, so i was hoping to move them all over there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Ok, so my gps wouldn't connect either when I tried to use it. I found a thread somewhere saying to unmount the sd card, turn off the phone, remove the battery for 30 seconds and power it up. That seems to have fixed the gps problem and the problem I was having moving apps to the sd card.

I guess once you do an update, it's good practise to unmount & reboot.

Upvote 0
There isn't necessary the apps to be configured by the developers.Take a peek here : How to force apps to move to the SD card on Froyo the green code blog

You know what the funny thing is?After following those steps , and installing ~30 apps , some of them have ~ 600 kb , others 6 mbs (like the games) , well after installing them on SD , I get the message : No space left on phone memory , I don't get it... all my apps ARE on SD card , I've checked it, and still I have only 11 mbs left on the phone memory.WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING?

Don't eaven try to say to me "cleare the cach", I will murder you:)
I guess this is my 5-th reset of the phone ... ****ing froyo..

I proudly , nervously , sadly present you another reset : 136 MBs free at 13.38 PM.Had to note this , the phone is normally fast after reset , it has a lot of memory .. ahh I'm dreaming.After 10 minutes that memory will perish.Curse you Android.

I've picked this from another forum "You will notice that the space shown there is the ACTUAL amount of space used by the app in your memory. So in short, not all the space will go to the SD card, but MOST of it will. For example a 5 mb game may have 1mb in memory and remaining 4mb in the sd card, so you still have lots of space. Do this for most of your apps and you will have LOTS of free space on your phone memory! " Looks like whatever we will do at some point we'll run out of space on the phone...Can't believe it has such limitations.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones