• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root MP3 - hit and miss playback? Some play, some don't

I'm looking for any help possible, and yes, I've attempted various troubleshooting prior. I can't find anything that actually address this issue. I find the Captivate a wonderful device after its rooted (not so much stock)

I have a Captivate rooted to 2.2 (though this same issue existed with stock 2.1).

When I play mp3s (yes, mp3s....not wav, not aac, not m4p) some will play with no problem, then others will play for the duration of the song length but have no audio except for what sounds like an 'audience scream' (that you'd hear at a concert) and then fade away and return maybe a minute later. it is weird and I have no explanation for it unless there is some type of audio codec I could load on my device.

These are mp3s ripped straight from the audio CD years ago. They play on WMP, an ipod, a sandisk e260, my old Blackberry, etc..... there is nothing wrong with the audio files.

When I put them on the Captivate.....I get crap.

I tried deleting all music on the Captivate....then reload the music files from the source (ensuring the audio mp3 played fine) and no dice.

I've tried playing through WinAmp, stock music player, bought PowerAMP (which I really like).....same effect

Please spare me the solutions you'd pull out of your butt for Yahoo Answers....looking for anyone who has experienced this or has a plausible explanation

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones