• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Music deleting virus?

Had a frightening occurrence the other day while playing music on my Motorola Droid. I was flipping through albums in the media player. Suddenly the flipping action was happening without my control. Random artists were selected, expanded, an album selected, the action window pulled up, Delete selected, and OK pushed. I could not exit the media player and had no apparent control of my phone, so I yanked the battery out.

Does anyone know of a virus that does such a thing? It was as if it was running a macro that acts via the UI controls. Very creepy to watch that happen without your control.

At first that's what I thought was happening, as it does sometimes lag when browsing through albums and you lose control for a second, but what's strange is that in order to get to the "Delete" option you have to hold down for a bit to cause the menu to appear, and all I was doing was scrolling. Furthermore, the actions were repeated three times and I lost three albums before yanking the battery. The entire sequence to delete an album takes about 4 seconds, three times in a row, and I've never seen 12 seconds of lag. I had time to hand the phone over to my friend who watched the last album get deleted before she started removing the battery.

I guess we'll see if others start running in to this problem. It sure felt like a malicious virus to me, and if that's the case it's sure to pop up again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones