• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Music Player App Crashes

kenh000

Jul 24, 2010
Hi,

The standard Samsung music player crashes whenever I select 'artists'. The program just boots me to the desktop and I get a message in the task bar stating 'Not Enough Space in Music Database'. I have about 20GB of music stored between the internal and external cards. Both cards have several GB free.

The program works perfectly when I choose All, Playlists or Albums. It just doesn't like Artists.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have the same problem with a Vibrant. I've spent the best part of a weekend fighting with this thing and I have yet to find a music player with even minimal functionality. The stock one looks like it would be OK except that being unable to sort by artist makes it really pretty much useless. Why is this happening? How did I just acquire a $500 phone that can't deal with mp3s as well as a $50 device from eight years ago? This makes no sense to me. Somebody please help!

Upvote 0
Seems to be a problem common among all models of the SGS, but limited to those people who are storing music on external cards. I would hazard a guess that it might be related to a file system corruption on the external card. A reformat might solve that.

One person on the XDA forums found that the media scanner was including the sound files from all the games and apps that he had installed, so he manually added a blank ".nomedia" file (dot nomedia, no quotation marks in the title) to the game directories, had media scanner rescan, and no longer experienced the issue.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem with music stored on my internal card and external 8gb card. The glitches wont stop coming with these sgs phones. There are at least 2 threads in the xda forums dedicated to this issue and no one has given a solution. I use double twist but i like to create playlists from my phone which is the only reason I use the stock player. I would probably use the stock player all the time if this glitch didn't exist and it had last.fm scrobbling.

Upvote 0
Music player crashes on my SGS too.

Basically when I interrupt its playing ... such as when phone call comes in or when I pull the SGS out of my pocket to change songs or to switch albums. Often I start it and then opt for the "artists" tab to sort my music first then I like to play artists by their album - which Music Player is great for doing.

If I let it play, uninterrupted - it does wonders and the sound is truly amazing to my ears...

I do not have an extra microSD/HC added yet and am only using the internal memory. MixZing is looking mighty attractive ...

The really weird thing is that after it crashes it seems that another instance of it takes over and continues playing. A window pops up, taking over the screen saying it must force a close but then the next window is Music Player and it's playing ... often the same artist, but a different song from another album.

It's almost as if there are multiple instances of Music Player running and acknowledging them causes havoc!?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones