• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Music streaming..? Music on Micro SD

nbeairsto

Lurker
Nov 12, 2011
Okay so im getting my first android phone (coming from a blackberry -_____-) in a couple days and im not sure if i should keep all my songs on my sd card or just stream it through the data or wifi like on winamp or songbird, anything like that ... Which would drain the battery more?

Streaming songs (over wifi or 3G) will use more battery than playing them from your SD card if you wouldn't be using wifi/3G. If your wifi or 3G is already on, it probably wouldn't be that much more of a battery drain (maybe slightly more). The biggest advantage about the SD card is that it would be more reliable if you do not have a good 3G/wifi signal. I personally keep the stuff I want to listen to the most on the card, and use Google Music beta to stream all the rest of my library (which is monumentally larger than what I could fit on a 16g or 32g card).
You will save a lot of battery if you turn off the wifi/3G when you are not using it (either manually or with an app like Juice Defender). The same holds true for GPS and bluetooth.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones