• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mute message alert by contact?

KryptoNyte

Android Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2011
I keep my phone beside me at night and it seems as though I have developed a person that will text at nearly any hour. Some folks think this is acceptable, some not, but in any case, I can't have my phone muted or set for 'no vibrate' for all incoming messages/calls/texts.

Is there an easy way to set just one contact's incoming text message notification to mute, and vibrate pattern to off?

Not necessarily the most elegant solution, but as long as you have a contact set up for that person, you can block them each night using the "reject" feature in the contact pop-up menu. To make it quicker, you can set their contact page as a shortcut on one of your home pages, then tap the name on the shortcut to bring up the full contact page, then hit the pop-up menu key and hit reject. Reverse the process each morning.

Upvote 0
Use Light Flow to add that person as a new Notification. Then set Quiet Hours in Light Flow, then go back into that persons settings within Light Flow and silence them.

You will still get their messages, but will not be bothered by the sound or notification lights when they send you a text message during your quiet hours.

Or

You can type out a reply to their text message: "This is an automated response. My Quiet Hours are between 9pm and 10am. I did receive your message and will respond to it tomorrow when I am awake."

After typing that out once, I'm sure that person will get the hint and stop texting you during the night. If they don't, then you could set Light Flow to quiet them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones