1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Mute message alert by contact?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KryptoNyte, Dec 11, 2013.

1. KryptoNyte

KryptoNyte Android Enthusiast

I keep my phone beside me at night and it seems as though I have developed a person that will text at nearly any hour. Some folks think this is acceptable, some not, but in any case, I can't have my phone muted or set for 'no vibrate' for all incoming messages/calls/texts.

Is there an easy way to set just one contact's incoming text message notification to mute, and vibrate pattern to off?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. trucky

trucky Android Enthusiast

Umm... tell that person to not do that any more?

3. allanlaw

allanlaw Android Enthusiast

Not necessarily the most elegant solution, but as long as you have a contact set up for that person, you can block them each night using the "reject" feature in the contact pop-up menu. To make it quicker, you can set their contact page as a shortcut on one of your home pages, then tap the name on the shortcut to bring up the full contact page, then hit the pop-up menu key and hit reject. Reverse the process each morning.

4. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Android Enthusiast

You could create / find a music file which has only silence and specify it as default notification sound inside the settings of that contact. That's the quickest. Or enable blocking mode and specify a custom list of contacts you want to be able to receives texts from.

5. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

As Gomjaba mentioned, enable blocking mode

settings>my device>blocking mode
    switch on
    tick disable notifications
    set your blocking mode hourse
    click allowed contacts
    select custom
    then add all the contacts who are not insomniac pains in the arse.

6. KryptoNyte

KryptoNyte Android Enthusiast

In Blocking Mode, do the text messages just pile up and then come in when blocking mode is turned off in the morning? I don't want to lose the message entirely.

I think I'll probably land on just creating a custom silent audio file and assign that to this particular contact.

7. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

Use Light Flow to add that person as a new Notification. Then set Quiet Hours in Light Flow, then go back into that persons settings within Light Flow and silence them.

You will still get their messages, but will not be bothered by the sound or notification lights when they send you a text message during your quiet hours.

Or

You can type out a reply to their text message: "This is an automated response. My Quiet Hours are between 9pm and 10am. I did receive your message and will respond to it tomorrow when I am awake."

After typing that out once, I'm sure that person will get the hint and stop texting you during the night. If they don't, then you could set Light Flow to quiet them.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S4 release date was April 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 5410 Octa processor, and 2600mAh battery.

April 2013
Release Date
Reviews