• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help MWDA (Miracast) and S4 - screen goes dark

electricpete

Android Expert
Jan 7, 2012
I have a problem I thought I’d share mainly because it is odd. I don’t particularly expect a solution but interested if you have other ideas.

I have two phones, two casting devices, and two T.V.’s.
There are 8 ways (2^3) to connect these devices.
7 ways work, one way doesn’t.

Phone 1 – Samsung S4 with 4.4.4 stock rooted, a few tweaks.
Phone 2 – Kyocera Hydro Icon with 4.4.2 stock unrooted

Casting Device 1- Microsoft Wireless Display Adapater (Miracast)
Casting Device 2 – Chromecast

TV 1 – Insignia 32” with HDMI port to receive signal from casting device, USB port to power casting device
TV 2 – Old RCA Tube TV with RCA input jacks. Use HDMI-to-RCA converter to get output from casting device. Power the casting device from the wall outlet via a phone charger.

The only combination that doesn’t work is phone 1 connected to casting device 1 connected to TV 1. (Samsung, MWDA, Insignia). This combination works only intermittently. Specfically:
  • If I connect the first time, it works for at most 10 minutes. Then the TV screen goes dark. Disconnect, TV screen comes back and shows awaiting connection, connect again and immediately dark every time.
  • If I connect, then right away disconnect and then right away reconnect again, TV screen goes dark immediately.
I should clarify that when I tried the similar combination of phone 1 with casting device 1 with TV2 (S4,MWDA,RCA), I only tried it for a short while (probably not 10 minutes). I did try connect / disconnect / reconnect. I never got that black screen problem. But perhaps results would have been different if I had tested longer.

For the remaining two combinations that are "close" to that nonworking 1,1,1 combination, I had plenty of opportunity to use them for hours including connect/disconnect/reconnect with no problem:
  • phone 2, casting device 1, tv1 (Kyocera, MWDA, Insignia)
  • phone 1 casting device 2, tv1 (S4, Chromecast, Insignia)

For the problem combination (1,1,1) = (Samsung, MWDA, Insignia)
Updated the MWDA to the latest software, no change.
Disabled my firewall, no change.

I did note some people have problem with usb power supply from TV not providing enough juice. There is no extra outlet close by where the TV is in my Mom's apartment. But I think if TV usb power is enough for the chromecast, it should be enough for the miracast. And the miracast doesn’t seem bothered by it when using the Kyocera. But I might try to get an outlet splitter to give it a try anyway though.

Search showed a few people complaining that Samsung phones sometimes have trouble with Miracast adapters. Don't know if that is related.

I'd dump the miracast and buy another chromecast, but my Mom's apartment doens't have internet. For the time being, I'm bringing my Kyocera to my Mom's when I go so I can use combination 2,1,1. That does the job, but it's a hassle since the Kyocera is an extra phone with no data or phone service. So of course I also bring my S4 anyway for normal phone and internet access. And if I want to show her something from the internet I have to use my S4 as a hotspot so my Kyocera can cast it. Bringing the extra phone and messing with two phones works, but it'd be nice if I could make it easier. .

Any other ideas?

Last edited:
Miracast devices vary a LOT by architecture and I don't think that you can make power assumptions against the Chromecast as it's probably the least sophisticated hardware possible.

As for Samsung not playing well with Miracast - Samsung's own casting technology is based on Miracast and is usually quite compatible.

The problem you may be seeing is that Miracast is not a rigid specification and there's a lot of variability in individual Miracast receiver device performance and quality.

So, I'd blame the Microsoft device, and as you say, you didn't test it enough on the next configuration. Personally, I'd recommend a Fire TV Stick or a Roku if you want to go with Miracast but that's just me.

Btw - although you'll see a lot of whining about Google "abandoning" the wonderful, open Miracast spec, remember that the spec isn't wonderful and it was a smart play.

If you get workable Miracast devices all the way through, it's absolutely great.

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones