• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My MASTER PLAN! Will this work?

Chicago77

Feb 11, 2010
THE FACTS:

I have one line; a Samsung Moment (which is rooted...I want that clarified as it might need to be addressed down the line) under contract not up until the end of the year.

MY QUANDARY:

I pretty much need an EVO and want to find a way to not pay full price.

THE PLAN:

My better half is on another carrier and I am thinking about either adding her phone number to my plan or have her be a new customer. She wants nothing to do with the EVO. "Great!" I say, "you can have my Moment". She also wants nothing to do with that phone either.

She wants her old skool flip phone. No gadgets, no touch screen, nothin'.

I thought I could add a line, get the EVO on the cheap, make a call to the phone center after getting home and saying "The Mrs. HATES the EVO and wants her old flip phone back but now that her old number has been transferred over to Sprint (they can do that, right?), we're stuck.

"Can you guys put my phone number from my Moment onto the new EVO and I can go to Sprint store and buy her a cheap little flip phone OR use the existing phone she had from another carrier?" If I get this far I'm going to bring up the Moment; "And if you can do this, will you buy my Moment back?" If they take it back, I'm assuming I'll have to flash back to stock 2.1 before sending it in, no?

In theory, this sounds like it should work. The cost to me is jumping through some hoops and hopefully dodging some red tape but the financial cost offsets the potential hassle.

So...does this seem feasible?

Evo cost (full rebate new line): 299.99 (100 MIR)
Cheap Flip Phone (Full Price): Cheapest is 150 goes up to 300ish.
Cost of NOT dealing with CS reps and expling situations: PRICELESS!

Costs so far 450 or 350 if you go Best Buy or RS with no rebates, why not just buy one at a Sprint store? It would cost you 450 and save you a ton of headaches, not to mention you wouldn't need to add a line unless you were going to do it anyway. Either way you plan to me seems too complicated for too little benefit.

Upvote 0
I hadn't figured in the cost of a basic flip to be that high. No chance of using her existing phone/number and just switching carriers?

My thought was since she will be added to my plan anyway eventually, I could benefit from that somehow and score myself an EVO on the cheap (since she doesn't want it) rather than waiting until year's end when I can get the Premiere Membership discount.

Damn...back to the drawing board.

Upvote 0
Can't use the other carriers phone on sprint.... Not going to happen and can't happen.

You will have to get another phone for her and it will be a min of $150 unless u go on ebay or craigslist and find one cheap. Sprint will also deny your rebate on the EVO unless you keep it on your gf's line for atleast 30 days. If you are going to change it from her line to yours, go to BB or RS... that will be your best bet.

But personally, buy it outright for full price and not screw around with all the other crap. Just my opinion

Upvote 0
I hadn't figured in the cost of a basic flip to be that high. No chance of using her existing phone/number and just switching carriers?

My thought was since she will be added to my plan anyway eventually, I could benefit from that somehow and score myself an EVO on the cheap (since she doesn't want it) rather than waiting until year's end when I can get the Premiere Membership discount.

Damn...back to the drawing board.

It will work fine. after you open the line with an EVO (go to bestbuy and skip the NOT) then get her a flip phone on eBay or craigslist. $50 tops. once you swap all telephones (can be done online) sell your moment to Sprint or on Craigslist. Total, shouldnt cost more than $100.

Upvote 0
Ya I do this all the time :D
I share a plan with my sister and my dad
Hard to explain but all I did was switch the phone I didn't renew my contract I just got my Evo yesterday and according to sprint ive been out of contract since Jan of 09

So just go in add your wife to your plan buy the Evo tell them you want to put your number on it and give them the phone you want your wife to have to activate it to her number.

So even when you have a brand-new phone your contract will still end at the end of the year

I've done twice so I doubt you'll have any problems

*update* I didnt notice you were going to use a phone from another carrier so that might be your only issue if you had a sprint phone there would be no problem at all.

Upvote 0
"So just go in add your wife to your plan buy the Evo tell them you want to put your number on it and give them the phone you want your wife to have to activate it to her number."

It sounds so devilishly simple that it just might work! *wrings hands together like Montgomery Burns*

I might go into a Corporate Store in a few weeks after the hoopla dies down and tell them I want to add a line BUT ONLY if they let me buy an EVO and switch my number to it. So it seems I will need to find a Sprint flip phone she likes on Ebay/Craigslist prior to the visit.

I read elsewhere on this forum where someone got $100 back for turning in their Moment which will help offset the cost somewhat.

I want to throw out a disclaimer here; it's not the cost as much as it is winning the game. I know if I play this right I can walk out of the store with this new phone for around $100 (plus the cost of the Ebay flip) after the dust has settled.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones