• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Moto X 2013 just crapped out BIG TIME

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    WOW - my sister-in-law is using our old 2013 Moto X spare, and it's performed admirably until just hours ago. According to her, it happened suddenly and without any input from her... no new app installed and nothing downloaded.

I can power down the phone, and then power it up and it comes to the lockscreen. There is NO pattern, PIN or password on this phone, so I should be able to swipe up to the homescreen, right? WRONG! Every swipe up takes me to Emergency Call and the keyboard comes up. The only thing I can actually do is swipe left to bring up the camera... but a swipe right or up goes to Emergency Call.

I contacted Motorola, who advised me to boot into Safe Mode. Same thing in Safe Mode! :thinking:

The rep then gave me instructions for entering Recovery and doing a factory reset. I can see the fastboot screen... but everything I swipe causes it to boot up normally and again: Emergency Call!

At this point, I'm open to suggestion for the next 12 hours... but tomorrow morning I'm taking it to the Verizon Corporate store to see if they can re-flash it. If they can't, it's probably cheaper at this point to replace it than repair it.

o_O

I attempted that (lol) and it booted normally, as if no recovery was there. And once booted, it went to camera or emergency call only. Anyway, all fixed now :)
    To get into fastboot you hold vol down and power, while device is completely off. Once you click recovery there's a button combination to bring up the options, idk it tho but once it's up you can select factory data reset. Anyways glad you guys got it fixed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones