• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My Phone came rooted or modified and I want to remove it...

Last week I bought an almost brand new Galaxy S8 for super cheap on Ebay, the guy said that the phone had been used for "networking"

When I got the phone the software had already been reset, but when I went to use Google Pay and it didn't work. I then opened Samsung health and it told me the phone was rooted or modified.

I then downloaded superSU but it said that there was no root detected

If you want to remove any modifications you need to completely reflash the device. You can find the firmware on sammobile.com - you'll need the full model number (not just s8) to find the right version. Then you need a computer and some Samsung software to flash it - I'm not a Samsung expert but I'm sure the site will tell you what you need.

Upvote 0
Last week I bought an almost brand new Galaxy S8 for super cheap on Ebay,

I can almost guarantee that an S8+ bought for "super cheap" (less than $200) on eBay will have one of the following issues.

1.) it's not genuine Samsung. There are a lot of counterfeit phones out there, especially of popular brands.
2.) It's been blacklisted, either because it was stolen, it was reported stolen (for insurance fraud) or it was tied to a contract that went into default.
3.) It's for an unusual market or has an odd hardware configuration that isn't compatible with most countries.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones