• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My reason to want FroYo

NOsquid

Android Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2010
Not flash, not JIT. But USB tethering.

Maybe it's just me/network in my area/my WiFi drivers, but I've tried everything with Barnacle/Wireless Tether and overall USB tethering via PDAnet or EasyTether is significantly more reliable. Not to mention less battery drain, possibly more secure. And since I never have more than one device using it, I really have no reason for WiFi.

Now I'm not generally one to quibble over a few $$ but do I want to pay for the full versions with https access when this should come for free with FroYo...? Grrr

Maybe it's just me/network in my area/my WiFi drivers, but I've tried everything with Barnacle/Wireless Tether and overall USB tethering via PDAnet or EasyTether is significantly more reliable. Not to mention less battery drain, possibly more secure. And since I never have more than one device using it, I really have no reason for WiFi.

Now I'm not generally one to quibble over a few $$ but do I want to pay for the full versions with https access when this should come for free with FroYo...? Grrr

my reason to want some froyo? im hungry! :eek:

Upvote 0

You shouldn't need froyo for any of that and I don't believe usb tethering is part of Froyo.

Apparently Samsung put a group of monkeys in a room with a keyboard and told them to write software for the Fascinate and now real people have to figure out what they did so they can fix it. Apparently Monkey code is really hard to figure out. :rolleyes::eek:

Upvote 0
You shouldn't need froyo for any of that and I don't believe usb tethering is part of Froyo.

Apparently Samsung put a group of monkeys in a room with a keyboard and told them to write software for the Fascinate and now real people have to figure out what they did so they can fix it. Apparently Monkey code is really hard to figure out. :rolleyes::eek:

I think it is part of FroYo, and I want to use the real Wired Tether app that is free (counterpart to Wireless Tether). Right now it says unsupported kernel, I believe FroYo supports it.

PDA and EasyTether work fine but you have to pay for https, which isn't a huge deal but if I can get it free with FroYo in...a week? a month...? Nobody knows lol

Upvote 0
I think it is part of FroYo, and I want to use the real Wired Tether app that is free (counterpart to Wireless Tether). Right now it says unsupported kernel, I believe FroYo supports it.

PDA and EasyTether work fine but you have to pay for https, which isn't a huge deal but if I can get it free with FroYo in...a week? a month...? Nobody knows lol

Hmmm which "real wired" tether app is that? As far as I know VZW doesn't allow tethering wired or not. I'm betting if VZW gives you a wired tether app it will be a pay service. Since they 1. are trying to sell you the wireless hot spot 2. their tether plans have caps so I don't see them giving you free unlimited wired tether. But of course I could be wrong.

Upvote 0
Hmmm which "real wired" tether app is that? As far as I know VZW doesn't allow tethering wired or not. I'm betting if VZW gives you a wired tether app it will be a pay service. Since they 1. are trying to sell you the wireless hot spot 2. their tether plans have caps so I don't see them giving you free unlimited wired tether. But of course I could be wrong.

This one

android-wired-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

Not counting on much from Verizon :)

Upvote 0
Just do the QPST hack already...

Why, it's supposed to be more reliable? I'm really not too sure the app is to blame in my case, a lot of people had problems with Apple's last security update and WiFi. So I dunno. All I can tell you is USB works better for me.

I never used WiFi at my home with my computer, I always had a direct ethernet hookup to my modem. So I can't be sure if it's my computer or when it started. I canceled my internet service because I'm traveling a lot and not home as much, so I use tethering when I do need it on my desktop.

Upvote 0
Another legitimate reason to want Froyo is the negative affect remaining on Eclaire will ultimately have on this community. The invaluable devs, forum support, etc. will all soon disappear. They will move on to devices that are current.

Why continue development on outdated Eclaire? 2.3 is here, 2.4 is rumored for Q1 of 2011. In a few short months we will be on one of the most antiquated platforms on the market. It is a travesty considering the hardware.

The only available rumors have come from Samsung. Those don't even matter. It's Verizon that makes the final call. I have yet to read/hear a peep out of the Verizon camp. There is chatter that the OTA is in testing. That could take weeks, months.

My high school daughter has been running 2.2.1 for a couple of weeks already on her D1. Very disturbing...

Upvote 0
Another legitimate reason to want Froyo is the negative affect remaining on Eclaire will ultimately have on this community. The invaluable devs, forum support, etc. will all soon disappear. They will move on to devices that are current.

Why continue development on outdated Eclaire? 2.3 is here, 2.4 is rumored for Q1 of 2011. In a few short months we will be on one of the most antiquated platforms on the market. It is a travesty considering the hardware.

The only available rumors have come from Samsung. Those don't even matter. It's Verizon that makes the final call. I have yet to read/hear a peep out of the Verizon camp. There is chatter that the OTA is in testing. That could take weeks, months.

My high school daughter has been running 2.2.1 for a couple of weeks already on her D1. Very disturbing...

really i wouldnt worry about the devs jumping just over the lack of 2.2...the ones that will jump on the next super device, would have jumped regardless of what version of android this phone has...just on specs alone.

really though once 2.2, 2.3, and aosp are built the rest is just a rehash of the same thing over and over again (not to discredit the great work people do but those are the major builds everyone wants)

really if you look at the timeline for the next "big" phone which would most likely be the inc hd (although i think it ll be an outdated phone, but whatever) that wont be until probabaly late february/early march for a launch...by then who knows :)

Upvote 0
really i wouldnt worry about the devs jumping just over the lack of 2.2...the ones that will jump on the next super device, would have jumped regardless of what version of android this phone has...just on specs alone.

really though once 2.2, 2.3, and aosp are built the rest is just a rehash of the same thing over and over again (not to discredit the great work people do but those are the major builds everyone wants)

really if you look at the timeline for the next "big" phone which would most likely be the inc hd (although i think it ll be an outdated phone, but whatever) that wont be until probabaly late february/early march for a launch...by then who knows :)

That's good to know. I really really want the new Google email client, Chrome to phone, and Full Tilt Poker. All require 2.2.

Upvote 0
That's good to know. I really really want the new Google email client, Chrome to phone, and Full Tilt Poker. All require 2.2.

FYI there is an app called Linkpush which is basically ChromeToPhone but supports more browsers I used it more than C2P. Also AndroidToCloud makes a nice companion and is great for pushing web pages from your phone to a chrome browser

Reactions: sreymj
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones