• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MybackupPro, Sprite, Titanium.... ????

Jun 26, 2010
I'm really at a loss here.

I would like an app that I can trust to back up all of my apps.

My contacts and calendar I'm not worried about... Google takes care of that.

But my apps..... PARTICULARLY my "OI Safe" with all my passwords stored.

I've done quite a bit of reading..... especially people's comments and feedback. Either it doesn't work at all, or it only backs up "some" apps...... or it won't let you receive updates on any of your apps after you restore it..... or..... well...... the list goes on.

I don't know what app to trust.

EVO 2.2 non-rooted.

Suggestions???

Well, Titanium is your BEST bet, but you need to be rooted to use it. It's a true backup in that it restores not only the apps (the Market does that much), but it restores them as they were. The reason it requires root is because it overrides the "sandbox" restrictions that are built into the OS. The other backup programs can't do NEARLY as much, unless the developer for a given app expressly codes for the backup to have that kind of access (which some developers have done). So, if your password app is partnering with one of the non root backup apps, that would probably be your best bet. Just be sure to test it out before you need it... I learned that the hard way about Android backups.

Upvote 0
I'm really at a loss here.

I would like an app that I can trust to back up all of my apps.

My contacts and calendar I'm not worried about... Google takes care of that.

But my apps..... PARTICULARLY my "OI Safe" with all my passwords stored.

I've done quite a bit of reading..... especially people's comments and feedback. Either it doesn't work at all, or it only backs up "some" apps...... or it won't let you receive updates on any of your apps after you restore it..... or..... well...... the list goes on.

I don't know what app to trust.

EVO 2.2 non-rooted.

Suggestions???

Titanium Backup needs root. MyBackup can use root but doesn't need it and seems to be a good choice. I'm not familiar with Sprite, though I seem to remember a program named that from when I had a Dell Axim.

Does OI Safe store its data on the external SD card? You can always make an extra backup on your desktop for added protection. I also use ROM Manager (needs root) to make complete backups and then put those on my desktop as well.

I know you mentioned you're not rooted; I'm simply stating some of what I do.

Have you considered something like LastPass? It stores your data "in the cloud" and you can access it from any browser.

Upvote 0
LastPass?

That sounds interesting..... I'll look that up and find out more about it.

Yes, my password app saves everything on my SD card.

That will be fine if I just have to do a re-boot or something... but what if my phone is lost or stolen??

Just trying to choose the best solution for a worst-case scenario.

I did NUMEROUS hard restes on my POS moment.... So I'm quite familiar with losing my texts, my apps, etc..... losing all my passwords is an entirely different story though.

Upvote 0
LastPass?

That sounds interesting..... I'll look that up and find out more about it.

Yes, my password app saves everything on my SD card.

That will be fine if I just have to do a re-boot or something... but what if my phone is lost or stolen??

Just trying to choose the best solution for a worst-case scenario.

I did NUMEROUS hard restes on my POS moment.... So I'm quite familiar with losing my texts, my apps, etc..... losing all my passwords is an entirely different story though.

If the encryption used by OI Safe is good, anyone short of the NSA isn't going to get your data. And if the NSA is after your data, you have bigger things to worry about than a lost phone! :D

You could always look into an app that can do a remote wipe for some added peace of mind. They're not completely foolproof, but at least it's something.

Upvote 0
If you're rooted Titanium is the best option. It has never failed me. Backs up the apps, the app data, and restores the Market links (for updates) afterwards. It also does a better job of restoring call logs and SMS/MMS than MyBackupPro. MBP doesn't like to restore my SMS timestamps, so when they restore, it appears that all however many thousand SMS messages just showed up at the same time. Very annoying. Titanium seems to restore all of the correct timestamps.

If you're unrooted, then eh, I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't think the Market links are going to be updated or re-linked properly without root access regardless of which application you use to do the backup, but the app itself and data should be able to be backed up and restored.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones